Problem with PSI VS replacement motor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JodyS

I'm having an issue with my lathe, and was wondering if anyone has seen this before or has any suggestions. I have a two year old Harbor Freight 10x18 lathe. A year ago, I replaced the original motor with the PSI VS replacement for midi lathes. It was a completely plug and play swap...very easy. Worked well to begin with, but over time I'm having more and more issues with the motor. VS means I can change the dial and change the speed, not that the speed will go up and down while set at a single setting!

Here is a short video I took this morning. The belt is set in the middle range, so high speed should be 2800 rims. 2/3 of the way through the video, I dial the speed down to low, and you can hear that it nearly comes to a stop.

Has anyone seen this before? Suggestions? Help!

https://youtu.be/UiiWMaJxkd4

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

OK ... seems like you may have a problem in one of several different areas ...

First off, check the dial's resistor. These types of variable speed controllers use a variable resister under the dial ... make sure it's properly clean and free of any kind of moisture, and check that it has an appropriate resistance range with a multimeter. I'm hoping that's your problem right there ... should be an easy replacement through radio shack or PSI, unless it's just needing a good cleaning.

Second problem .... I'm hearing the motor revving randomly. If it's not the dial, it's probably the brushes in the DC motor. You could contact PSI about obtaining replacement brushes and where to go to get them replaced if you can't do the work yourself.

You didn't get the lathe wet with any kind of water or solvent recently, did you? The spindle seems to turn freely, and I'm not hearing the motor bogging down ... check that you have free movement as well.

jttheclockman

My suggestion is do nothing. Contact PSI customer service. Bob is their guru and he should be able to help you. It may still be under warrenty or something. Or they may have a recall or know of this problem. Always best to check with where you bought the item first. If you get no help then start your own investigation or you may have to take to a repair shop. Most VS problems start with the electronic boards. This is my opinion.:)

Skie_M

Oh ... a good point from John, check with PSI's customer support first, to see if it's a known issue and if it's still under warranty!

JodyS

Yes, thank you. I did go out to their site and sent them an email with the video and the question. Site shows that i purchased it on 3/7/16, so I'm hoping it has a 1 year warranty at least. Will let everyone know what they say.

Jody

JodyS

I think I messed up the initial email that I sent. Then I called them on the weekend and was told I had to call during the week. Coincidentally (and not conveniently), the tech I needed to talk to works the same hours I do! Emailed them again...

As it turns out though, I was home sick on Monday, so I was able to call and talk to someone about it finally. He suggested it was the brushes. I removed one and could see charring on it....couldn't get the other one out. But apparently it has a two year warranty, so they're sending me a new motor. He wasn't sure how fast it would go out, since they were bracing for the NorEaster on Monday, but hopefully sometime soon it will arrive so I can switch it out.

Top Bottom