Precision Machine Pen Center & Pen Mandrel Saver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

Alright so most of the threads I found were from back in 2012. So now that these devices have reached some maturity, what are your thoughts? Is it worth doing and if so which one?

I'm placing a CSUSA order today and a PSI in a week, so figured I'd ask since shipping kills me.

Thanks
RobS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

Alright so most of the threads I found were from back in 2012. So now that these devices have reached some maturity, what are your thoughts? Is it worth doing and if so which one?

I'm placing a CSUSA order today and a PSI in a week, so figured I'd ask since shipping kills me.

Thanks
RobS
Welcome to the West Coast. good thing you don't live in Canada otherwise it will kill you harder.Lol
Lin

KenV

Count the bearings

If you have a Nova live center there is a mandrel saver insert for about $20 that gives you 3 bearings. Nova live center body has lots of other uses.

Precision live center has double bearings (memory)

PSI mandrel saver has one bearing. This one drills out easily with an L drill bit to become a b mandrel saver.

I have had one bearing failure with a PSI unit out of warrenty

Best price on the PSI has been at Amazon.

Last edited:

campzeke

I have both Rob. To be honest, the biggest difference I see is the Precision Machine Pen Center from CSUSA has a longer MT allowing you to release it from the tail stock easier and it also has a longer taper on the business end giving you more room to work on your blank when turning. I'm Not sure if those differences make the CSUSA version worth the extra $$ or not. Either one works just as well for me.

RobS

I have both Rob. To be honest, the biggest difference I see is the Precision Machine Pen Center from CSUSA has a longer MT allowing you to release it from the tail stock easier and it also has a longer taper on the business end giving you more room to work on your blank when turning. I'm Not sure if those differences make the CSUSA version worth the extra $$ or not. Either one works just as well for me.

Thank you Zeke for the quick response. Much appreciated on the honest feedback.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I cannot compare between the two, but wherever I bought my mandrel saver - I LOVE IT!

I do TBC at times with appropriate bushings for that purpose, but mostly I use an adjustable Mandrel with a mandrel saver, locked in to the shortest length between centers.

I also do not turn two blanks at the same time; I will keep the spacing as narrow as possible, and turn them separate.

Top Bottom