Precision Machine 3-in-1 Screw Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shastastan

G'day. Just bought this new screw chuck from CSUSA. I do have chuck screws with a couple of chucks but I am really impressed with the quality and versatility of this screw chuck. CSUSA was out of stock of the spindle adapter needed for the next larger size (1 1/4" x 8 tpi) so I bought a nice one on Amazon via Hartville tool. There's a bigger fitting for platters and larger bowls, but I really don't want to turn anything bigger than what's in the pic below.

Attachments

• wal bowl 1 w.JPG
    wal bowl 1 w.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 358
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I took a look at that chuck on their website. The reversible, removable collar, along with two size screws looks to make this one a winner. More expensive than many screw chucks, but you are buying versatility. Too bad they do not offer this chuck with the 1"-8 tpi, calling for the step-down adapter you needed to get.

shastastan

I took a look at that chuck on their website. The reversible, removable collar, along with two size screws looks to make this one a winner. More expensive than many screw chucks, but you are buying versatility. Too bad they do not offer this chuck with the 1"-8 tpi, calling for the step-down adapter you needed to get.

Hi Steve. I totally agree. I paid $49 for that adapter. Could have waited and got a cheaper one, but I wanted to get started since I had already waited since last year. The adapter that I did get is very good quality compared to the cheaper one.

That is a 10x10x5 inch hunk of tough wet walnut. The screw chuck is holding it just fine.

Charlie_W

This chuck looks very similar to a Jerry Glaser screw Chuck you can buy them from Alan Lacer in different thread sizes.

I hope this works well for you!

Last edited:

shastastan

What's the advantage over a 4 jaw chuck with a screw? Especially when the blank hangs so far away from the headstock.

That's a good point, Charlie. The adapter does make it longer and I can notice a very slight wobble. That might be caused in part by me not getting the hole centered exactly and also the weight of the wet blank. This is my first large bowl and I still consider myself to be a novice turner on the big stuff. I do have screws for my Easy and Vicmarc chucks. There is another larger slip on aluminum piece that I'm still considering as support for platters. Also the alum. piece I have now has a larger diameter than any of my chuck jaws. Some folks make their own backing plates out of plywood. I don't have any baltic birch for that now and it's not sold locally.

I think that this would be better if you didn't have to add an adapter. I probably would not have bought it had I known that the adapter was so long. Maybe they'll make a 1" x 8 tpi in the future.

Top Bottom