Praise for Woodcraft/Jet customer service

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hughdrbf

Being new to pen turning and the [seemingly endless number of :wink:) equipment and tools that we use, I first sought the help of IAP by reading posts and following threads across the Fall of last year. Thank you to all from whom I learned for your experiences and time taken to post them.

My decision was to purchase a Jet 1221VS and Jet dust collection system. Having the benefit of a local Woodcraft store nearby in Rockville, MD I made a visit, and met and learned a huge volume of expert information about my intended purchase from Matt, Director of Education for The Woodworkers Club. With Matt's help I was comfortable and ready to invest.

At Matt's suggestion, and a great one at that, I attended his Intro to Penturning class as a primer. My instructor, Oscar, provided expert instruction that truly helped jump-start my confidence and rapid progress. In addition to a number of successful kit pen turnings in both wood and acrylic (my first sale of two just yesterday!), I have also turned (no pun intended :)) my growing skills toward turning replacement parts for vintage fountain pens that I am restoring. I credit Matt and Oscar greatly for all their help and guidance along this early portion of my passionate journey.

After a few months using my Jet 1221VS it developed a vibration. I contacted Jet Customer Service and was directed to contact a local authorized service provider, Marc at Advanced Tool & Machine Service in Silver Spring, MD. After talking with Marc about the problem I learned that he is hugely experienced in all things lathe big and small, a vast array of other shop equipment and tools, and is a really friendly and helpful guy. I set up with Marc his visit to my home-based shop. I then talked with Matt for a read on Marc, hoping that the local [Woodcraft] Jet dealer would know of Marc and his capabilities. Immediately came back an email from Matt that yes, "Marc is well known to us and is our local guru. You can feel comfortable that you are in good hands." Crosscheck complete - I couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

Marc arranged with Jet (he knows the folks there for many years and in the course of business talks with them daily) to ship replacement rotational parts -- in other words the pulleys, bearings, and belt -- that could contribute to an out-of-round/unbalanced vibration issue. The parts arrived a few days later just in time for Marc's visit. Essentially, Marc rebuilt the moving mechanism. With that element anew, and the vibration still present, Marc was able to then troubleshoot further. He found the problem within the electronic control system; it was not delivering a consistent power stream to the motor -- it was pulsing the motor. Marc left with plan to talk with Jet about the problem and would let me know what next action would be.

The following is why people like Matt and Marc, working in conjunction with business entities like Woodcraft/The Woodworkers Club and Jet, remind us that there exist those still who are committed to delivering the best possible customer service:

Less than two hours after Marc left he called me from the Rockville Woodcraft store. He had already filled Matt in on the details of his findings with my lathe. They, together, had already talked with and provided recommendation to Jet Customer Service. Jet agreed and authorized immediate resolution of the problem to my complete satisfaction.

I can wholeheartedly recommend patronizing the Rockville, MD Woodcraft/The Woodworkers Club store and, in particular, working with all the good people there who make that business everything that I was hoping to find.

To Matt, especially, my gratitude and appreciation for helping me make the best, well educated product selections, and also for your tangible commitment to my complete satisfaction. I am absolutely a "Matt groupie"!

And when something in your shop needs to be installed or fixed, I can absolutely recommend Marc at Advanced Tool & Machine Service in Silver Spring, MD (202) 246-8670. Thank you, Marc!

To all here in the IAP, thank you for making this community the wonderful resource that it is for us. I hope my experience is found to be of value by those who happen upon it.

Hugh

Top Bottom