Poor man's Skogger or C1a

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I ordered a set deliverable to my USA address. Thanks Frank. I couldn't get the site to bring up the screws, but in looking at the number M6, I know I can get that here and probably have that in a torx head in my shop screw bin. If not, I know where I can get them. I have both metric and imperial tap and die sets.

Thanks again.

Hank

Rifleman1776

Does the bar stock have to be square or can you use round stock? Darrell eisner

Does not have to be square. But users of the high priced variety report that the square sits steadier on the tool rest. Makes sense, that's why I went with square.
At the very low cost of making one of these tools, it might be worth your while to experiment with whatever you want.

scotian12

Frank...is the tool just for roughing out the pen blank or can you use it to finish the blank. Also is the tool used as a scraper or can it be turned on its side and used as a skew? Thanks Darrell Eisner

Daniel

Just a little word of warning. not all metals are created equal. and most of the metals you can get off the shelf at home Depot are not the best. as an example on the metal turning forums I have read most members would agree to not even bother with them for turning etc. I know from personal experience that they do not weld well or at least as I would expect from other metals I have welded. Regardless I just want to mention that not just any piece of metal is necessarily safe. These tools are taking a lot of stress. One thing I thought of when thinking about this is the Pen Mill cutter heads I ordered that where not threaded correctly. one member tried to tap out the hole in that metal and broke his tap. Taps are made from hardened tool steel and it broke on whatever the cutter head is made out of. I am not trying to discourage anyone but I don't want to see anyone get hurt either. A little homework with a local metal supplier might be worth the few minutes it would take to get.

RHossack

At the very low cost of making one of these tools, it might be worth your while to experiment with whatever you want.
Frank, how are you mounting the square stock in your handle, turning it round? A pic would be nice.

Went to our local recycling yard and got a 3' 4" piece of the 3/8" square for $2 and picked up 1 x 30" of 2024 T6 for $3 to make some handles.

Rifleman1776

Frank...is the tool just for roughing out the pen blank or can you use it to finish the blank. Also is the tool used as a scraper or can it be turned on its side and used as a skew? Thanks Darrell Eisner

Roughing only, does not leave a smooth finish. Not fussy as to angle of attack. Do what works. Only caveat is that with the square cutter, don't let the side catch on the wood or it will twist in your hand.

Rifleman1776

Frank, how are you mounting the square stock in your handle, turning it round? A pic would be nice.

Went to our local recycling yard and got a 3' 4" piece of the 3/8" square for $2 and picked up 1 x 30" of 2024 T6 for $3 to make some handles.

Since you asked, I did spend a few minutes on the grinder rounding the square stock prior to pounding it into the hole in the handle. This handle is made from a hunk of scrap figured hard maple. The ferrule is a copper coupling I bought and added almost $1.00 to the total cost of the tool. BTW, the overall length is 20". The steel shaft is 9" exposed. This might be a little too long for some folks taste but I believe it will make this a very versatile tool. You don't like, get out hacksaw.
Good for you finding that steel stock. Scroungers rule.
Daniel, thanks, again, for the good tip on the steel. Even though I wasn't thinking along those lines, the place I buy my steel sells to guys who will be welding. I used to buy there when I needed to repair or fabricate stuff for my farm equipment.

Rifleman1776

Oops. Forgot to post photo with last post.

Attachments

• tool with handle.jpg
    tool with handle.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 212

Daniel

I have been getting a lot of questions about these sort of tools and if they leave a smooth finish etc. I can get a very smooth finish with the Skogger, but it is not the easiest or fastest tool to do this. The way I look at it I can wear out the edge on my turning tool just getting the blank turned down to close to bushing size, or I can use a tool like one of these to take the majority of that punishment. Saving my precious razor edge on my turning tools to do the the clean up work. These tools are ment to be "Roughing" tools. so keep that in mind when you consider how well they are working. Personally I like to sharpen my tools before I satrt a pen, but usually have two gouges. one that will get the lions share of the wood whittled down. I then switch to the second gouge that has a nice fresh edge to get nice clean cuts to finish the pen. The skogger now replaces that first gouge and I never have to sharpen it. the gouge and skew will still finish my pens.

low_48

On the back page of the last Woodshop News they showed new Amana router bits with replaceable carbides. An insert for a 1/4" radius core box router bit (part number for insert is RCK-266) is $7.99 each. http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5892-rck-266-replacement-knife-for-rc-45910.aspx
A square replacement for a 45 degree v groove bit (replacement carbide part number is AMA-12)is $3.08 each. http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5582-12-x-12-x-15mm-4-cutting-edges-ama-12hma-12.aspx

The carbides are only 1.5mm thick, but I like the price.

ldb2000

On the subject of round cutters, this one from CSUSA is the only one that I remember seeing. I am not sure if it would work or not and they do not show replacement cutters for this tool.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Hollowing_Tools___Eliminator_Tools?Args=

These are the replacement cutters (bottom of the page) , they are for the Hunter hollowing tools . There several sizes .

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...er_Carbide_Hollowing_Tools___hunter_tool?Args=

fernhills

I have three tools like that, they are called ENDURO they were from Sweden. I have a round one that i use a lot to hollow bowls. I have a Square one that i don`t use much. and a diamond shape parting tool, they don`t get dull at least the round one anyway. I bought them in the early 90s when i didn`t even have a lathe i was just thinking of getting into turning. I`ll post a pic of them when i get my camera out again. I would like to know about them. They didn`t cost a lot, it was at the end of one of those woodworking shows and the vendor wanted to sell something quick. I got them for $36.

hughbie

frank, you have made exactly what i had been thinkin of. you can get a multitude of cutter designs....but for some darn reason...it never crossed my mind to use standard 3/8 bar....
it removes wood quickly and smoothly? at least down to where you can finish turn with a skew?

hughbie

just wanted everyone to know.....you can get cutters of all shapes and sizes through grizzly, McMaster-Carr, MSC, Grainger. take a look at their websites and see. one of these companies has got to ship to Canada

bitshird

You will find the round cutters at carbidedepot.com Look for RCGT inserts by Kennacut.

Marvin
I don't think the Kennametal inserts will work for woods, the most relief any have is 7 degrees, and to efficiently cut wood you really need to think in the area of 20 to 30 degree relief angle. look for some carbide inserts for routers, I found some round ones , at least the face was round but they were pretty pricey about 12.00 as I remember.

dogcatcher

At 20 to 30 degrees I think you might be looking at custom made. I found some 15 degrees but nothing more than that and they were in the $13 to $15 range. I think I will stick with my Things Western ready made carbide chisels for less than $50.

RHossack

You will find the round cutters at carbidedepot.com Look for RCGT inserts by Kennacut.
Marvin, what I did find there are these generic on sale.

At $2 a piece for round looks good to me.

(I put the wrong link in there, here's corrected link)

http://www.carbidedepot.com/SearchResult.aspx

However, I can't figure out the OD ... no pics.

I need someone smarter than a fifth grader to tell me what sizes these are.

Last edited:

cozee

Marvin, what I did find there are these generic on sale.

At $2 a piece for round looks good to me.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=795

However, I can't figure out the OD ... no pics.

I need someone smarter than a fifth grader to tell me what sizes these are.

Thanks for the site link!!!

You can go into the Milling Cutters section and look at the specs for specific round insert cutters, you'll find the insert specs. They range anywhere from .275 to .630 for the RDMT-61 & RDMW 15 degree cutters.

SCROLL DOWN TO MID PAGE

Or if you select Inserts from the index on the left of the pages it opens a page of insert shapes. Select round then choose the profile you want. Once it opens you'll find a list of available inserts. Select one and a page opens showing the different sizes available.

LIKE HERE

Last edited:

RHossack

Here is a link that tells how to figure the sizes, rakes etc.
http://www.pgstools.com/servlet/the-template/CarbideInsertIdentification/Page
Thanks Marvin ... I'm pretty dense and my tunnel vision is interfering with what is in front of me.

I have some 3/8 square to use and I harvested some shafts from old shocks to use also.

Looking at the sale inserts I cant's figure out the OD's.

Here is a list of the available inserts for $2.00 - $2.80

RCMT1003M0 C2
RCMT1003M0 C5
RCMT1003M0 C6-GOLD

The "T" is the 4th character and is supposed to designate the type except I don't see a "T" on the list. I'm looking for counter sunk but not necessary.

The 5th character is the is the size. If I understand this means the "1" equates to 3\8" and "0" equates the thickness of 1/4"?

R=round
C=7°
M=

dogcatcher

Here is the code numbers for one that I was recommended. I never tried it
RCGT 10T3 MOPH I think it is a Kennametal K313, 10mm diameter.

Here is my choice for the money. http://www.thingswestern.com/3.html At $43 a piece they are ready to go, the shaft is about 5/8" diameter and solid steel. I have the round, square and the triangle versions, all in the larger size.

cozee

The 5th character is the is the size. If I understand this means the "1" equates to 3\8" and "0" equates the thickness of 1/4"?

I don't think a "1" in the 5th character placement is 3/8" when compare to other cutters and their sizes. Here are others in comparison . . .

insert-rdhw.gif

Here are some templates of various cutters. I only assume they are actual size . . .

insert-template-3.gif

Photos are from carbidedepot.com

Why not just email Carbide Depot and ask them what the diameters are?????

cozee

Here is my choice for the money. http://www.thingswestern.com/3.html At $43 a piece they are ready to go, the shaft is about 5/8" diameter and solid steel. I have the round, square and the triangle versions, all in the larger size.

Those are a bargin when you consider labor. Even their biggest is only $53.00!! And the ones for pen turners are only $37.00 a piece (round and square cutters) with shipping at $7.00 no matter how many you buy! Do you know if they offer replacement cutters as I couldn't find a listing for them?

My Christmas list just got added to and reorganized!!

Top Bottom