Pimp My Grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi all, in this thread I showed my 72 inch grinder in build progress....

It was going to be fitted with a single phase motor and speed change by step pulleys....
It was also going to be fixed vertical..

But the motor seller sent a 3 phase one by mistake....then told me to keep it as well as the replacement !!:biggrin:

So I changed the plan and got a single to 3 phase inverter and went direct drive.
Also made it hinged to be horizontal too.

The controller is mounted on an articulated arm and I have a trailer plug to the motor. So it can all be easily put aside. My shop is tiny and very full !!:frown:

Anyway....here are several pics. I'm very pleased with the way it came out.
Hope you like..:biggrin:

Attachments

• grinder 5.jpg
    grinder 5.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 174
  • grinder 6.jpg
    grinder 6.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 140
  • grinder 7.jpg
    grinder 7.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 192
  • grinder 8.jpg
    grinder 8.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 158
  • grinder 9.jpg
    grinder 9.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 155
  • grinder 10.jpg
    grinder 10.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 174
  • grinder 12.jpg
    grinder 12.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 231
  • grinder 13.jpg
    grinder 13.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 177
  • grinder 4.jpg
    grinder 4.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 158
  • grinder 3.jpg
    grinder 3.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 176
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks guys :wink:
No, I bought the step pulleys....pretty expensive at around £60 for both. They won't go to waste though. I'm sure they will become part of a project down the line. They are huge too....the flat at the bottom of the V is 10mm. I only learned afterwards that a v belt should only ride on the sides of the v and not the bottom. Sourcing a relatively short belt of that width also proved difficult.I
The inverter was cheap....less than £100 off of Amazon.

Yes Ernie....I'm gonna give knife making a go. I will go the 'stock removal ' route, rather than any kind of forging. As I have a mill and metal lathe, I'd like to eventually make folding knives.:cool:

Cheers

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks guys :wink:
No, I bought the step pulleys....pretty expensive at around £60 for both. They won't go to waste though. I'm sure they will become part of a project down the line. They are huge too....the flat at the bottom of the V is 10mm. I only learned afterwards that a v belt should only ride on the sides of the v and not the bottom. Sourcing a relatively short belt of that width also proved difficult.I
The inverter was cheap....less than £100 off of Amazon.

Yes Ernie....I'm gonna give knife making a go. I will go the 'stock removal ' route, rather than any kind of forging. As I have a mill and metal lathe, I'd like to eventually make folding knives.:cool:

Cheers
I have a friend that taught me Stock Removal!! I find it fun and quite dirty at times. I've been looking at making one of these, but use a 2x36 for now. Good luck in your adventure!!

magpens

WOW !! . Extremely well done !! ... but everything you do is !

I especially like the way you have formed the rounded edge on the work table !!

Pen Joe

find workmanship, that is quality going to last for years, did you machine the pulleys, thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom