PICKED UP MY LATHE TODAY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paintspill

so after quite a bit of research and shopping and wondering , if you would like you can see the original post here i picked up my lathe tonight. it was a used one from the community center near my house, they sell off there old tools as they buy new ones.

the speed control is shot but i'm already working on that.

this post was meant to be more than just a gloat. i wanted to send out a very heartfelt thank you to all that posted comments and helped in this decision, i realize there is always some flack about manners and such so i wanted to make sure they all got a thank you, i especially wanted to thank mack c, for graciously offering to have me come by his shop to give his lathe a try during my shopping, it didn't happen but the gesture did not go unnoticed. this is truly a great bunch of guys and gals.

now on to the tool gloat, this is going to take the place of my sadly under powered lathe. i especially like that the head rotates for outboard turning, i'm hoping to start on some bowls. on the bright side my son and i will be able to turn together,

Attachments

• 100_4823 (640x480).jpg
    100_4823 (640x480).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 450
  • 100_4824 (640x480).jpg
    100_4824 (640x480).jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 100_4826 (640x480).jpg
    100_4826 (640x480).jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 274
  • 100_4827 (640x480).jpg
    100_4827 (640x480).jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 283
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

That's just what I've been looking for, it's made by General isn't it? Enjoy it, it should give you lots of years of trouble free turning. Unless there's something been done to it at the school, but, those tools are usually looked after so there shouldn't be any trouble with it. Theres something I would like to know about these lathes, do they have a reverse?
Len

I can't wait to hear more about this lathe. I looked at them online and really thought they were a stand out but couldn't find that much about them. Give us a review once you have used it for a bit.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
yep its a general. i will do a full review when i get the speed control in. this model doesn't have reverse but in my research i saw that some models do.
Hi Marc; You have done well in your choice.

I have a GI Maxi (no VS, no reverse, no swivel head) that I use as a dedicated buffing machine.

Would you pm me with the price you paid for it? Anymore available?

I have a Delta Midi waiting for me to pickup in Orillia.

ashaw

Marc
I have that same lathe for eight years. You will love it. The speed control failed after two years. I call general told them the problem. They said they will send out a new card. Instead, I received a new head stock with their new speed control. Great customer service. Good luck with your new tool.

HamTurns

Good Score

yep its a general. This model doesn't have reverse but in my research i saw that some models do.

I own one of those lathes and love it. I bought it in 2011 and really put it through it's paces over the last Winter.

I made two modifications to improve it last winter;
  1. Replaced the steel spindle handle with a wooden one. I initially did this so I could use a vacuum adapter I had, but found that the original handle pressed on the inner race of the outer bearing and caused a lot of noise. I set up the new handle with a few thousandths of an inch of space and that holds the bearing in place. After I replaced it, it runs almost silently.
  2. I installed a Forward/Reverse switch. I noticed that it uses a DC motor, so I added a toggle switch to reverse the drive wires.
One thing I noticed is that the head and tailstock need to be checked for alignment often and adjusted. It's simple and as you noticed part of the design, but it does move a little. I noticed first off when drilling with a brad point bit, it'll make a ring instead of a tiny hole in the center. I got one of those double ended MT2 alignment tools and it makes it simple.

This lathe is a rock, you'll like it.

Happy turning
Tom
p.s. - don't buy replacement belts from the factory for $35, buy them for $2 at Belarus Tractor Supply(aka V-Belts for Less). - tjh

randyrls

I installed a Forward/Reverse switch. I noticed that it uses a DC motor, so I added a toggle switch to reverse the drive wires.

Nice lathe!

To join the thread; DO NOT REVERSE THE DIRECTION WHEN THE LATHE IS TURNING!!! (sorry for the caps)

You will cause expensive damage to the speed controller. When a DC motor is turning, it generates a back voltage. If you flip the switch from forward to reverse, the voltage is applied backward to the speed controller. It will likely "blow" the MOSFETs in the controller. Many of the manufactured speed controllers have either a switch with a center interlock position ( it is not possible to go from forward to reverse without stopping in the center). Some controllers have an electronic time delay on the reversing switch. Some controllers are electronically programmed to prevent damage. Some controllers are protected from damage done this way. Don't take a chance.

Last edited:

paintspill

gave it a test drive last night, and what a treat. only had one speed to play with but man what a difference from a smaller less powerful machine, my speed control is on the way and i bought some new turning tools from a member here and am going to turn my own handles for them, will post again soon.

Falcon1220

I have had the same lathe for years now. I am very happy with it. My is the older one without the reverse setting. I have been pondering to contact General to ask how I can confert to the reverse. Seeing all the good things I will contact them. You never know.

Top Bottom