Pennstate chuck adapter runout

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rvanbeek

I ordered a Pennstate Barracuda chuck and adapter for my Nova 1624-44 lathe. I assembled the chuck and adapter and put on lathe but notice that the chuch had what looked like both a wobble and runout. I put the chuck on my old Rockwell lathe and it ran true with out runout. I then focused my attention on the adapter and found that while spinning I held a sharpie against the side of the adapter and the sharpie left a gap of 3 inches on the circumference of the adapter. I called Pennstate and they were very cooperative and sent out another adapter. The replacement did the same thing. The box that it came in looked like it was a returned item based on markings on the outside of the box.

I checked the spindle of the Nova (brand new) with the sharpie and it seem so run true. I put the face plate on the Lathe and checked the circumference against the tool rest by putting a piece of paper between the tool rest and the face plate and can see no runout and the sharpie test shows no runout.

So it looks like the adapter is the problem. Has anyone else had this issue. I'm thinking that Woodcraft sells an adapter that has a locking set screw for reverse operation and it's made in the usa. Is there a better alternative? Have I missed anything?

Thanks Rich

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Check to see if this adapter is snug up against the shoulder in the threaded spindle. I have run across a couple of lathes where the chuck screwed on but wobbled.
You may need to make a spacer from some 1/8 or 1/4 inch material so the chuck/ adapter can snug up tight to the flange to be set true.

This is an easy fix if this is the culprit. A piece of plexiglass or tempered Masonite will make a good spacer.

kovalcik

I just had to use my Barracuda chuck on my Jet 1642 with an adapter from PSI. It ran dead true. I was pleasantly surprised. You might try putting a washer on the spindle before screwing the adapter on. If that does not work I would return it.

low_48

Charlie has the answer. This is a known issue with Nova lathes. Nova's web site starts talking about using only Nova inserts, etc.

rvanbeek

OK,,, I went to the hardware and picked up a couple of nylon washers, large enough for the spindle and fit perfectly around the should of the adapter. Great news... No more wobble. I put the tool rest up close to the chuck with only a piece of paper as spacer between the two and can't see any runout. Thanks for the help..

Top Bottom