Penmaking workflow

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marmotjr

Been perusing the forums, saw some benches, work stations, etc, getting some ideas. I'm not in a position right now to make a permanent setup, as it's not my shop, but I will be moving into a space within a month or two.

For now, I'm setup on a mobile worktable. One side is the lathe, not even mounted, but it hasn't moved. The other side is used for both fabrication (pre turn work), and final assembly. I'm finding that remnants of one step are intruding into the others at times.

I'm thinking of a long table along one wall, where the lathe is mounted on the left, near the other power tools (bandsaw, press, table saw, etc). This would keep dust on one side of the shop (in theory), and allow for easier piping of the dust collection system. The middle section would be for fab work, ie blank gluing, hand cutting, etc. Then the right would be final finishing and assembly. I'm also learning to turn bowls and such, so it has to be able to accommodate that too.

What type of workstations do you guys have setup? How is your workflow done?

WoodTurnerDan

I like to have my bandsaw and drill press bolted to a workbench against a wall. My lathe (Jet Mini) is on a stand with locking casters so it can go pretty much anywhere.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I have two benches. A sheet of plywood ripped down the middle and 6 2 x 4's will make a bench. One sheet for the top and a shelf underneath. One bench has a lathe, drill press, Belt/disc sander and a bandsaw. About $60.00 I use the other for clutter/pen assembly. :redface: Until Wayne comes by from Minnesota to straighten it up. :biggrin:

I looked for photos, but gave up! You can get good ideas on youtube.

Top Bottom