Pen vise.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jxdubbs

Hi,
I'm looking for the best pen blank vise. After a couple hours surfing the net I found the turners warehouse pen blank vise. It seems the most solid. I've seen a couple that giggles and wiggles around enough to make the blank junk. If any of you guys have a good or bad experience with one please let me know. I also have looked at jigs, but I don't want to go that route. I'd rather buy one. So let's hear for you. Also I added a pic of the T.W. vise.
Thank you.
64e997dc72a0cc7a92d07f1600442b39.jpg
1fd9d2a661220e4a12ab1e9815a730dc.jpg
6b0523d1bf721c476a55654bc2d0a01c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

Get a 2 pieces of 12x12 3/4" thick plywood. Mark the center point on both, get a bolt that matches the threads on your lathe chuck. For this explanation, I will use 1-8TPI threads on the chuck. In the center of one of the pieces of plywood, drill a 1" hole, in the center of the other piece drill a 2" hole.

Glue the 2 pieces together, and use some 1 1/4" long screws to hold it together. When the glue dries. stick a 1-8TPI bolt about 2" long in the 2" hole so that it comes out of the 1" hole and screw your chuck down on the bolt.

Your chuck is now ready to mount on the drill press table. To line the chuck up, mark the center of a blank and insert in the chuck. With a drill bit in the drill chuck, you can center the chuck and clamp the plywood in place.

The bolt you use should be below the holding part of the lathe chuck, if too long grind or cut it shorter. You want your blank to sit I the bottom of the chuck, like it does on the lathe. The best chucks to use are the tommy bar kind, the cross handle on the keyed chuck can get on the way. Too solve that, make your plywood stand taller. I also suggest using a good grade of plywood, not the roof decking stuff.

This video will sort of help explain the process. https://youtu.be/2_JjJ0-mStY

TonyL

I have the one that Paul (something)from NC used to or perhaps still makes. Don't know if it is the best, but it is well-made. The one from TWH looks nice.

StanBrown

I have not tried this one but I know a number of our members do use it. I have the Rockler clamp. Took a bit of doing to get it set up but it now works very well.

dogcatcher

As I described above. https://youtu.be/qCYsXHdzxY8

Using your lathe chuck, an appropriate sized bolt and some scrap plywood, you will have a self centering chuck for your drill press for an additional $1 cost. Or be a big spender and buy another chuck just for this purpose.

If you have access to a metal lathe, the indexing feature in the video is another little toy to build. Trust me you will love the things you can do with it.

socdad

I'm not sure where you can find a Huffman vise, Paul in OKC is still active on IPA. In terms of quality the Huffman vise is often copied, seldom equaled (in my opinion). PSI and Peachtree Woodworking have offered a knock off version …

Paul in OKC

That is a copy of mine. I haven't made any in a while. I do see his once in a while. If he copied it exactly, which it appears to be, it should be a good vise. Maybe I need to start up again :) The guy actually called me a few years ago to discuss his selling a 'similar' vise as mine and if I had any problem with that..........

jxdubbs

That is a copy of mine. I haven't made any in a while. I do see his once in a while. If he copied it exactly, which it appears to be, it should be a good vise. Maybe I need to start up again :) The guy actually called me a few years ago to discuss his selling a 'similar' vise as mine and if I had any problem with that..........
I saw a couple pics of yours. They look really nice. I think the best I've seen.

bsshog40

I bought a rockler also. At first the top would wobble a little. That was until I found out it has 4 small allen set screws to tighten and stop that. Works great now.

jxdubbs

So what is the drill method for pen blanks?

Drill press, on the lathe, do u use speacial bits?

Idk I again blew up three more blanks in a row. (All ACRYLIC) I'm losing faith in myself. Is what I'm doing wrong its its obviously something tht I'm doing wrong.[emoji47][emoji1785][emoji2961][emoji35][emoji2959][emoji2962]

magpens

Drilling pen blanks on the lathe is better than any other method.

I like to round the blanks fairly accurately before the drilling.

No special bits ... I just use high speed steel machinist's bits of the "Jobber" length (standard). . "Stubby" length is actually better for starting the hole (first inch).

Idk I again blew up three more blanks in a row. (All ACRYLIC) I'm losing faith in myself. Is what I'm doing wrong its its obviously something tht I'm doing wrong.
Likely less where you drill and more how you drill. Some acrylics are more brittle than others, and require more caution. Heat and material buildup in the flutes will cause problems. Use sharp bits, drill only a little at a time so you can clear the swarf from the flutes often. I drill ~1/4 inch (surprising how quickly the flutes will clog), then back bit out completely, clear the swarf, then advance the tailstock and repeat until the hole is complete. I do this for some woods too - you can crack a nice wood blank from heat buildup due to clogged flutes.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I just leveled the table on my DP, secured a machinist's vise to the table. My son made a triangle out of CRS to make sure the blank is at a right angle to the vise. Works like a charm. I'll try to remember to take a photo of the set up. I did have to put two thin washers under one edge of the vise to make sure it it level.

jxdubbs

I carry the Tim Geist made vice, it is the best I have ever seen.
T. Shadow & Co. LLC
Could you show a couple more pics? And anything you could tell me about it? How easy is it to have a piece of sacrificial wood underneath? Best to still already cut or the whole pen blank?

Hey can you show me a couple other pics of that vise?

Magicbob

I will try to get more pics tomorrow evening when I get home.

Bob

T. Shadow & Co. LLC
Could you show a couple more pics? And anything you could tell me about it? How easy is it to have a piece of sacrificial wood underneath? Best to still already cut or the whole pen blank?

jxdubbs

Bob

T. Shadow & Co. LLC

I was told that Tim has eye problems or something not making anything for awhile I heard.

jxdubbs

Bob

T. Shadow & Co. LLC

So I'm thinking about getting the vise, sanding jig, and the the cutting jig he make.

jxdubbs

I sent out that jig today! Thank you for all the help. I'd recommend your site and tools to anyone! Top notch service!
Think you,
James Rondeau

Top Bottom