Pen Press- Disassembly?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghansen4

Is it worth paying an extra $20 to get a pen press that can also do disassembly? If not then I've read the Milescraft is a good choice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

I use transfer punches and a hammer. The punches are $11 at HF and I multipurpose the punches by mounting in a small machinist vise to square the ends of the blanks against my belt sander.

Last edited:

tonylumps

If you need a Pen Press Than this is the way to go.I have taken pens apart and never had a problem destroying the blank or any of the parts.i take pens apart just because I did not like the combination of blank and pen.So far I have taken apart about 30 pens in the short time that i have owned it.I don't know how i did without it.I have banged my hand so many times with the hammer, punch and that stupid vise grips.I threw a lot of pens across the room because of that.Never to be seen again.Spend the money ,you won't regret it

Woodchipper

I tried to take apart some pens that had a bad finish. I tried every way but couldn't budge anything. Got the punches and several taps with a hammer but not success. Get the disassembly/assembly press.

randyrls

Greg; I don't have a pen press of any kind. I don't like "single use" tools. I use the wood working vise on my work bench with a set of oak sacrificial jaw covers on it. Quick release and works well. For disassembly I use a punch set that is also used for trimming blanks on my disk sander with the Rick Herrell sanding jig.
I will say the Milescraft press is nice.

chartle

I found I can put the HF transfer punch in my drill press and press it out so no taping. The only issue I still have is holding the blank.

Say for a Slimeline you first have to remove the nib and if it has straight sides you have to grip it. Same for the cap. The Transmission is easy because you can use a hole in a piece of wood to press it up against. I don't have the special rubber coated vice grips.

chartle

Oh and I've seen the disassembly pen press in action and its pretty slick. If you don't have a press its something to consider but I wouldn't get it just for disassembly.

Woodchipper

Wondering if my pen press can be adapted for disassembly. Will look at it or have my son, the engineer, figure out something. He owes me big time!

mecompco

I tried to take apart some pens that had a bad finish. I tried every way but couldn't budge anything. Got the punches and several taps with a hammer but not success. Get the disassembly/assembly press.

I use a 1lb. rubber dead blow hammer with my punches. Many taps using just the weight of the hammer eventually gets things to move, even if they are blue-Loc-Tited in.

Top Bottom