Pen Press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert Taylor

without a doubt the ph designs pen press is the best. that said good luck trying to get one. i've used woodcraft's and pennstate's. both worked well for me. i use a homemade press and assemble my pens on the lathe. i no longer use the woodcraft if interested send a pm.

manatee

I have tried several and I like the one from Penn State best. It is made of cast iron and spring loaded. The only thing I don't like is the spacers but they give you a lot of control. The handles will break on the flimsy ones.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
PSI

I use the PSI and properly used it should last a lifetime I did make one extra spacer...that being said, a lot of folks seem to prefer an arbor press, I'm actually surprised that no one has mentioned that so far.

its_virgil

I went the arbor press route in the beginning but I didn't continue to use if after a short time. I don't like "vertical" action....just me.

I moved to the Woodcraft press and have it mounted on a MDF base. I saw a set of homemade spacers (like the PSI spacers) made from birch plywood and made me a set and what a difference. No more knobs to turn to adjust the plunger. Just stack and remove the spacers. I have several of each in 3 different thicknesses. I have since purchased the PSI press after my Woodcraft press walked off during demonstrations at a symposium. I made a few more spacers for the PSI press. I like the spring mechanism.

Do a good turn daily!
don

I need a pen press is one any better than the other?

mars

The arbor press is not an option. I use my drill press but my little girl has decided that she would like to help with the pen making and I thought if I got a pen press she could put them together.

randyrls

I need a pen press is one any better than the other?

Instead of a pen press, I use a woodworkers vise with oak jaws to press pens together. For slimline and other pens that press a transmission into a tube, I made a v grooved support to press the tranny the correct distance into the tube.

larryc

I made this pen press some time ago and it has worked great for me. The clamp is from HF. I don't remember where I first saw the idea.

Attachments

• My Pen Press.jpg
    My Pen Press.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 596

RAdams

Banned
I use a woodcraft press... But mine is slightly modded.

I took the knob off, and threw it in the trash and replaced it with a simple bolt that is about 3" longer. I dedicated a small pair of vice grips as the new "knob" which is much more user friendly.

I also made a wooden "cap" that fits over the metal end of the pressing parts, so now it is wood and delrin instead of metal and delrin.

And lastly, I mounted it to the wall in a vertical position so gravity helps me open the press further when needed. I like it alot and have no intentions of changing it, or switching.

There are plans somewhere to make a homemade one out of all wood that is pretty slick. I used to have one, but my fancy wooden tool making skills arent so hot and it was a POS.

Hope that gives you some more ideas!

hewunch

1/2 ton arbor and why are you worried about your daughter? It doesn't move fast, nor does it use hydrologics or any other assisted movement. It is like using your drill press in the off position.

Scratch

I bought the Wood Craft press back in April. It
lasted about 3 months and broke. It's junk.
I went to Harbor Freight and bought a heavy duty 5"
bench vise. Works great!

miamited

I have used the PSI one, It was good. Prior to that I just taped tongue depressors to my regular metal vice jaws. I like the vice better.

mach9

I finally got around to making one. I'll take a pic when I think of it. It works pretty good, but the best one I had was my drill press, with a small round of Delrin that I put in the chuck. Had another round of Delrin epoxied to a block of wood that sat on the drill press table. Only reason I quit using it was because of the constant changing over from drill vice to pen press.

Top Bottom