Pen blank router jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

LouLeggett

Have any of you ever used a router jig to round pen blanks? If so, are you satisfied with the results? I once saw a design for such a device but can no longer find it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

I thought that is what a lathe was for [:D]

I have rounded blanks on a Legacy mill using a router. found it easier to do it on a lathe.
Plus I never liked the sound of a router.

cdcarter

A simple 1/4" rounding bit on a router table would do it, but I don't see the point. It gets round faster on the lathe. And frankly, you have to be careful running something that small through a router anyway. You'd have to use push blocks. By the time you set up, you could have a finished pen.

Woodlvr

I have a brand new unopened one from Hut from years ago, before I knew enough about turning, then packed it away. Dumb impulse buys.[:I]

Mike

desert1pocket

I have used a roundover bit on the router table to round the edges on some of my more elaborate segmented blanks. I did this to help reduce the risk of blow outs during the rounding process. As others have mentioned, push blocks are a must with something that small. Pretty pointless for most blanks though.

Paul in OKC

Some one made a thing for that some time ago, don't remember who it was, might have been PSI. ANyway, it looked like two plastic 'wheels' that you could put a mandrel in between, set a router up on a table and use the height adjustment for depth of cut, then just 'rolled' the jig with the wood over the bit to 'turn' it.

Woodlvr

It was a Hut product Paul. I was going to try it before I purchased my first lathe. Now it is collecting dust in a cabinet.

Mike

Woodlvr

I am still looking for thr box that it is hidden in. I cleaned the shop last month and this is what I get for doing it. I will post as soon as I can find it.

Mike

exoticwo

The device for turning with a Router table was called a "Tompkins Turner" and Paul in OKC described it exactly. This is the tool I used to turn my first pens. That is until I sold enough to but a Carbe Tech Mini lathe! The tool was fun but lots of work, after cutting down to size (lots of router height adjustments), I had to hand sand and polish. Quite the experience!!
I tried to find one on the "net" last week to show my club but got a big "0" for search results.

exoticwo

Found a link this morning and posted below. This sure brings back memories of when I started out!!

900-307.jpg

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=900-307&gclid=CIyVvvurtJACFQspFQodDyCxKg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom