International Association of Penturners

International Association of Penturners (http://www.penturners.org/forum/)
-   Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/)
-   -   Pen Blank Rip Jig (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/pen-blank-rip-jig-154883/)

gtriever 05-16-2018 10:22 AM

Pen Blank Rip Jig

1 Attachment(s)
A case of overkill - but it works.

I've had quite a few pen blanks show up that are not square (3/4 x 3/4, etc) and trying to square such small pieces on the table saw makes me a little nervous, even with a push block. So, I cobbled this together to make life a little easier. It slides along the saw's Rip Fence and keeps my fingers away from the blade. With spacers and double-sided tape I can also use it for thin rips off the blanks:

Attachment 176322

Rifleman1776 05-16-2018 11:03 AM

That's neat but what is the point? If not grossly out of square just put blank on lathe and turn. That is what a lathe is for.

Aces-High 05-16-2018 03:43 PM

Frank,
If you are trying to do any kind of segmenting, you have to have them square.

PenPal 05-16-2018 06:45 PM

With the end in mind as you have described love the use of repeatable accuracy in this process. For normal turning I chase the grain every which way that works for me too. I drill on the drill press.I look forward to your results and wish you well.

Peter.

BKelley 05-16-2018 11:38 PM

Hi,
Your jig looks fine, and you are using the old noodle to come up with it. I enjoy making jigs & fixtures myself. I think in this case I would use the Micro Jig Grr-Ripper. I just finished ripping 28 pen blanks out of Camelthorn and that stuff is hard as Japanese arithmetic. I was ripping it out of 2X2’s and with the riving knife, a thin kerf blade, and the Grr-Ripper
I felt my hand was safe. Try one, I think you will like it

Ben

leehljp 05-17-2018 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKelley (Post 1980697)
Hi,
Your jig looks fine, and you are using the old noodle to come up with it. I enjoy making jigs & fixtures myself. I think in this case I would use the Micro Jig Grr-Ripper. I just finished ripping 28 pen blanks out of Camelthorn and that stuff is hard as Japanese arithmetic. I was ripping it out of 2X2’s and with the riving knife, a thin kerf blade, and the Grr-Ripper
I felt my hand was safe. Try one, I think you will like it

Ben

ミ+ミ=六
:biggrin:

I too like that jig. I like segmenting too, and you are right, it must be square for certain kinds segments.

wolf creek knives 05-17-2018 08:49 AM

Very nice jig! I'm a big fan of shop safety especially when it comes to power tools. This jig will keep the users hands away from the spinning blade. Well done!

gtriever 05-17-2018 08:59 AM

Thanks for the comments, folks. Much appreciated. If you have any tips on how to make things better, I always enjoy learning alternate methods of doing things.

Ben, I have a Grr-Ripper and I agree it works great for ripping blanks from larger stock. For this use, I was uncomfortable with it covering the whole blank and not being able to see if the piece was riding the fence correctly.

Curly 05-17-2018 12:38 PM

If you would like to improve your jig make a "U" shape that straddles the fence and attach your jig to it. Then there is no chance of the jig coming away from the fence. Your other option is to fasten it to a strip of wood that fits the mitre slot. Both ways keep the jig tracking front to back with little chance of being drawn into the blade and munching your hand.

gtriever 05-17-2018 12:56 PM

Thanks for the tip, Pete. Miter bar isn't feasible because it has to adjust with the fence, but the U shape is doable and a good idea.