Parting tool - Is this a bad idea?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Not like I haven't done my share of no-no things in the shop!:biggrin:
I saw this done and used on a tool holder for a metal lathe.
The reach is less than 2" to the handle and only about 1/2" from the tip to the tool holder so I would not be able to go very deep. The carbide tooth from the cut-up saw blade is angled to the right. I was thinking of also making one that angled to the left. I carefully tried it out and it cut real nice and would be handy on small items. I have larger parting tools for larger work.

Attachments

• PTR.jpg
    PTR.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 808
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

As long as it isn't too aggressive, looks nice. Normally, a parting tool really has a negative rake angle with the cutting point at center of the tool. You can also ride the bevel on a regular scraper and do a peeling cut. On yours, that may be a little tricky, but looks fine if used like a scraper.

Dale Allen

Went ahead and made the other one.
I did learn that I am no good at making brass or aluminum rivets!:rolleyes:
The left hand one has a little bit longer reach.
I'll probably end up using them in very specific situations.
But hey, they were fun to make and I had all the stuff on hand.
Besides, now I don't feel so bad that I dropped that brand new saw blade on the concrete floor and broke 2 teeth off before I ever got it out of the package.:redface:

Attachments

• PT2.jpg
    PT2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:

Mr Vic

Look a lot nicer then the one I made with a jig saw blade, two Popsicle sticks and red duct tape...For pen work I'd think they would work fine..

Dale Allen

Thanks Vic. I have a different parting tool about like yours.
Seems lately I get way over involved when I make something and it ends up being a bigger project then need be.
The angle of the tip and the fact that it is tilted up to the work makes it real grabby.
Will need to learn how to use these I think.

Mr Vic

But bigger is half the fun...Thinking you might want to grind off the pointies on the trailing edge so they don't unexpectedly catch..

Dale Allen

:eek::eek: Just and FYI :eek::eek:

These tools are VERY aggressive and much care needs to be taken if you make one. The angle of the tooth and the fact that it is super sharp makes it so.
It is not for the beginner or faint at heart. :eek:

They aren't so much as aggressive as that most people don't cut side clearance and get the blade trapped, done that.
You need to make sure to mat the cuts a V going in to allow the blade not to bind.

I like the tool shown, just won't give much depth of cut and with the thickness (thinness) of the blade that is a good thing.

Top Bottom