Painting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Not that brand, but the foam tipped swabs work just fine for spreading paint on the inside of a hole.

turncrazy43

I use Q-tips from dollar tree. Sometimes 200 for $1.00.

To answer the other question, I dip the q-tip into the paint and then swab the inside of the blank after drilling it thru. I suggest the use of epoxy to glue in the tube, as CA reacts with the paint and usually removes some. This will result in the tube showing thru after turning.

At least this is the method that works for me.

Jim Smith

I use a can of spray paint for painting both the tube and inside the blank. It takes about 1 minute for both of them and it produces a nice, even coat of paint. One can of pray paint will paint well over 100 blanks.

Jim Smith

I use acrylic paint from Michaels. I've tried mixing the paint in with the epoxy and it seems to work fine. Though, I think just painting the inside of the tube with a swab would work just fine.
How do you get the spray paint to evenly cover the inside of the blank??

gtriever

How do you get the spray paint to evenly cover the inside of the blank??
My question also.

That's the problem I had. It took 2-3 coats for good coverage. But, it could have been that cheap paint I tried, too. The tapered Swab-its looked like an alternative since they're possibly reusable. Thought of it while pulling a swab through a pistol barrel.

Jim Smith

To spray paint the inside of the tube, I hold the blank in one of those plastic spring loaded hand clamps, hold it over an empty trash barrel and give it a good spritz one end, turn it around and give it a spritz on the other eld, shake out any drops and place it on my drying board. To paint the tubes, I place them on a four pronged BBQ fork that I picked up at my local Goodwill store for 99 cents. I slide the tubes over the prongs and hold them out away from me and give them a spray. As I mentioned, it takes me less than two minutes to paint both the tube and inside the blanks. One point worth mentioning though, make sure that you've cleaned out any chips and bits from inside the blanks before you paint them. If you don't you'll find that the paint pretty much glues them in place making it very difficult to get the tube to fit inside the blank.

Jim Smith

gtriever

Note to self : Don't buy any more cheap paint. I bought some Krylon and Rustoleum and the difference is like night and day. Lesson learned.

lorbay

A buddy of mine, his wife sells Avon so she has a lot of nail polish samples so he has been using them with great success. Lots of colours there, plus they come with their own brush.:):)
Lin

Woodchipper

Note to self : Don't buy any more cheap paint. I bought some Krylon and Rustoleum and the difference is like night and day. Lesson learned.
I take it Rustoleum was the better of the two. I need to learn how to do this as I'm turning more synthetics now. Some are very translucent after turning down for a Slim Line, for example.
Thanks to all.

gtriever

I take it Rustoleum was the better of the two. I need to learn how to do this as I'm turning more synthetics now. Some are very translucent after turning down for a Slim Line, for example.
Thanks to all.

Actually I've had good luck with both. The difference I was talking about was between a cheap "generic" paint and the Krylon/Rustoleum. But having said that, I do prefer the Rustoleum as my first choice in spray paints.

Oh, and I also bought one of these: MixKwik - Aerosal Can & Spray Paint Shaker - works very well for us lazy folk. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom