Old Vintage Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I just picked up this lathe today off Craigslist. This is my first lathe and am excited to get into turning. I'm not sure what brand it is and was wondering if anyone here knew anything about this company or has any idea what brand it is.

I'd also like to know how to find out what size Morse taper I have. I really don't want to jerry rig it work. The spur center is missing the point. The wheel to turn the shaft on the tail stock doesn't turn shaft toward the middle. I have to bump it forward into the wood.

4f1184e53673184658baf40f8fd836c7.jpg
fd978c24decc7868d592f988aa6261b4.jpg
9c05352bd0e1b4be203cfc8f38d01a0a.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hi Joshua, welcome to IAP.

I don't know much about vintage machines like that, but it looks like you have a nice museum piece there.

I haven't been able to find out much about the F.M Slater Saw Co or their lathes, but it seems that they were in business in Detroit in the 1920-1950 timeframe.

Personally, I would not make any modifications to that lathe (at least for the time being). My suggestion would be to do some local research on that company to determine how long they were in business, owners, heirs, etc. Perhaps someone might be interested in adding that lathe to a museum or personal collection. If so, you might be able to sell it for enough to buy a really nice, modern lathe. I would at least explore that possibility before doing anything else with that particular specimen.

Keep us posted on what you learn about it or what you decide to do with it.

KenV

Welcome Joshua

It was common practice to relable equipment, and many hardware firms branded gear from manufactures. Sears was a classic example.

Restoring old gear becomes a passion forming some. There are a couple of internet sites that accumulate photos and manuals of old iron. I cannot look them up and give you urls on this tablet.

A couple of shiny bolt heads suggest that someone has been putting things together. Odds are the underside has wrong or missing parts.

That vintage lathe was designed for spindle turning and will turn pens.

Odds are the headstock threads are 3/4 by 16. Get a nut that size at a hardware store and try it for size.

Morse tapers may be good, or they,may need the touch of a finish reamer. You can get the dimensions using a piece of heavy paper and scotch tape. The paper needs to form a cone on the shape of the taper and the tape holds its shape when you remove it and measure diameters with a calipers.

First guess is that is an old Rockwell based on headstock shape. The jack shaft assembly looks to be good shape and indicates upscale model.

Have fun with it

low_48

I hope you got it cheap, and are excited about machine repair too! The tailstock will be the issue. Hopefully not a stripped thread, just a sheared pin or key. Google morse tapers to get the diameters. #1 and #2 are quite a bit different, no confusing which by measuring. That gap bed is going to give you some issues. For short pen blanks, you'll have to keep that long tool rest on, and the tailstock is going to be stacked up right tight to them.
I'm not much of a fan for old lathes. New machines are just light years ahead of what we used to have. Electronic variable speed is the prime example!

dogcatcher

Post your location in your profile, there might be someone that lives close that can get you started using this lathe.

Does the tailstock have a hole in the middle of the handle side? Does it look like a steel rod will fit into like a knockout bar? A couple of close up pictures of the back side of it and another of the handle looking towards the headstock might be helpful.

I was able to find the model that I have. It is a Walker Turner Ls540.

Here is a good website of one that is very similar to mine that someone restored.

http://shanewhitlock.com/photo/v/misc/wtl/after_restro/1.jpg.html

I may end up cleaning it up really well and selling it for a decent profit. I will probably turn some things on it to get my feet wet turning. But it probably won't be long before I outgrow it and want to upgrade.

I won't be altering or changing anything that I think is original just in case someone who buys it wants all the original parts.

Last edited:

KenV

if you keep your idea of "decent profit" low, you may have success. You are marketing in competition with new lathes with more power and features at some pretty low costs for similar power and capability.

These are labors of love more than anything else when restoring old iron.

if you keep your idea of "decent profit" low, you may have success. You are marketing in competition with new lathes with more power and features at some pretty low costs for similar power and capability.

These are labors of love more than anything else when restoring old iron.
I do agree with you mostly. About a year ago I bought a 1950's delta 8" table saw/4" jointer combo for $50. I had no use for the table saw, but I did partially restore the jointer and I just sold it for $90. So I believe there are people out there who would buy it if it runs well and gets them started and looks good.

With that being said, I didn't buy it with the intention of flipping it and getting a profit.

If I do decide to sell it in the future though, I should be able to get at least 150% of the price I paid for it.

I decided to sell this lathe. I kept the tools and the 6" jointer that I for in the deal. Ended up parting with it for $85. I'll use this money in conjunction with whatever I get for Christmas and buy a Harbor Freight 10" lathe.

PenPal

Same pattern as a Woodfast and also an identical one by F R Tough others made in Australia I have a 50 yr old at least Woodfast in good nick. I notice the tag said sold by not made by.

Peter.

Top Bottom