Old craftsman table saw still running

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talfalfa33

Hello all and Happy Holidays. As you can see in the photos, I have an old craftsman table saw with a copy right date of 1921 and it also takes a nine inch blade. I would like to replace it and does anybody have any suggestions for a mid range saw that will have a good solid fence and be dependable for doing some cuts that aren't precision down to the 128th.
this saw still runs excelent and no vibration. I hate to replace it but as you can see by the pics, the fence is only a 3/4 length and doesn't stay square and no way to modify for a higher quality fence with out some major modifications.

Attachments

• 1921 Saw 1.gif
    1921 Saw 1.gif
    217.9 KB · Views: 3,595
  • 1921 saw 2.gif
    1921 saw 2.gif
    203.5 KB · Views: 3,307
  • 1921 saw 3.jpg
    1921 saw 3.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 665
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Timothy, a good contractors saw will do the job nicely. These seem to have about doubled in price since I bought my Delta almost 10 years ago. You can get a Grizzly for under $800 delivered, but you can get their hybrid for only a few dollars more, so that is another option. If you have the patience, keep checking Craigslist and something will likely turn up. I wouldn't go with a benchtop from any company. The saw you have is better than any of these. Other than the 9 inch blade limit, your saw could be modified fairly easily. It appears to be set up to accept wings and you can make your own easily enough. A piece of 3/4" MDF layered with a piece of 3/4" melamine makes for a very sturdy wing. And with your machining skills, you can add a good fence to your saw. The new fence rails might have to be drilled to fit the Craftsman table, but that is easy. Here is a 40" Vega fence system on Amazon for about $250, but there are many other options you could get to fit.

This Powermatic might be a good buy, but you'd have to check on the price. I would avoid any saw that is NOT belt driven.

Last edited:

PaulDoug

I'd think any mid priced saw is going to have it's weak point, the fence. Have you thought about just upgrading the fence on your saw? My first saw that I purchased was a Sears contractor saw type. It was a great saw and is still in use handed over to my son-in-law. When I started wanting to do some more intricate woodworking I just could not get a accurate cut with the original fence. I upgraded the fence and got many more years of great service from the saw. I purchased a Mule Cabinetmaker fence. It is also still on in use on the saw. There are many great after market fence available as well as miter gauges.

Last edited:

tim self

If you have the footprint in the shop you could always keep that one, add a sled and use it for segmenting. Good luck on your search.

Top Bottom