Nova Pen Plus Jaws

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefrog

Mine came today so I had to drill a couple blanks. I am impressed, the jaws are beautifully machined and definitely heavy duty. I tried it on my G3 and Super Nova 2, worked fine on both but they will reside on the Super Nova 2, much nicer chuck to use.

Help me out here -- I have the G3. What's the difference in that and the Super Nova 2?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

The G3 is smaller than the Nova 2. You can put a G3 (~3.1lbs) on a mini lathe while the Nova 2 (~5.5lbs) is designed for bigger lathes.

Dan Masshardt

The G3 is smaller than the Nova 2. You can put a G3 (~3.1lbs) on a mini lathe while the Nova 2 (~5.5lbs) is designed for bigger lathes.

You can put either chuck on any lathe (with the correct thread pattern). But it is true that the g3 is recommended for mini lathes.

Some people claim that the extra weight of the 2 is hard on a minis bearings. Others disagree.

Also, many people with larger lathes still use the g3. It's not really inferior.

Also, there are different key designs in each chuck. Interchangeable jaws though.

hazmat74

I have read every comment twice. Finally talked myself into ordering a set today.
Hope that this will solve my drilling problems.

Any more comments about them from the guys who have them would be welcomed.

I picked mine up a few weeks ago and really like them. Easy to get your blank perfectly drilled, every time. I have some stock that looks like half round, but longer on the un-round side. This stuff chucked up and drilled perfectly. I have zero complaints and glad I bought them. Running from the basement to the garage to drill a blank wasn't enjoyable.

stonepecker

Mine arrived yesterday. Company from out of state also arrived. I didn't get to open them till just a little while ago. First thing I noticed was there were no screws with them. Second thing was there wasn't any wrench for the screws.

Forgive a beginner but shouldn't these be included with the jaws? This is the first extra set I have ever bought......so I am not sure about this. Just thought I would ask those that know.

Thanks, Wayne

Carl Fisher

I've been using the pin jaws for a few years now. My pen plus jaws came in Thursday from that ebay seller linked in an earlier post. So far I do like the extra length on the grip and the ability to hold a wider blank.

Time will tell.

hazmat74

They're definitely not a gimmick. I can't really say they're a must have, particularly if you have other options readily available. I imagine, like most things turning-oriented, it will all come down to personal opinion. Personally, I'm very happy with them and prefer drilling blanks with my lathe rather than my drill press. As I'm currently not turning other items that require the use of a chuck, I don't get bogged down in forever swapping jaws AND I didn't pay out a mess of money for a "special" pen blank drilling chuck. That's my perspective on it, anyway.

ETA: It also gives me a very good reason to purchase another chuck, so I don't have to swap jaws regularly when I finally do move on to turning other items.

LagniappeRob

Not a gimmick at all. I like so much I've been wanting another chuck just to keep them mounted for easy use and still have a chuck for other work. Much stronger than the PSI pen blank chuck.

walshjp17

I like so much I've been wanting another chuck just to keep them mounted for easy use and still have a chuck for other work.

My thoughts exactly. So, I recently bought a reconditined SuperNova 2 and now have the Pens Plus jaws permanently mounted on a G3 that I can swap between my Jet 1642 and Rikon Mini (with the appropriate spindle adapters).

kovalcik

Question about pen jaws in general. When I drill on the drill press, I always make sure the blank is backed up on the bottom with solid wood so the drill bit cannot break through. Can you back up the blank in the pen jaws or do you just stop short and cut off the last bit?

LagniappeRob

Depends on the blank. If it's something that's real smooth and doesn't want to rip, I'll let it come through but really slow and easy. It's I'm worried about the blank, I leave it long, drill short and cut off the end. Controlling the tail stock's quill speed is easier than a drill press, so it's not that hard to control it.

yaroslaw

Question about pen jaws in general. When I drill on the drill press, I always make sure the blank is backed up on the bottom with solid wood so the drill bit cannot break through. Can you back up the blank in the pen jaws or do you just stop short and cut off the last bit?

Yes you can, but I found it necessity only on trustone. Everything other drills perfectly on the lathe without a blowout (if you leave at least 1-2mm extra, cause some very small chipouts can occur even on woods).

MichaelD

Far superior to my DP vise or pen vise on the DP. I only use my lathe for pens. All my other work is flat boards so no swapping chucks as yet.

djjenner

Bought a set last time I visited Woodcraft near Orlando, very good. Previously I had tried drilling on my drill press, but there was insuficient travel on the quill.
The fact that the inner corner of the jaws has been machined out (to allow for the fixing screws) is a plus as if your blank is out of square they will still locate ok.

LeeR

I used my Pen Plus jaws for the first time today. Excellent. I have both G3 and a Precision Midi chucks for my Rikon 12x16 Mini lathe. I think I'll just leave the jaws on the Precision Midi chuck -- they will get plenty of use.

I seldom go to Harbor Freight for tools, but I did buy a set of their metric T-handle hex wrenches. The set was something like $6.99 and I used a 20% off coupon. Really makes jaw changes easier.

Last edited:

SteveG

I am in the process of returning a new set of the Pen Plus jaws. The problem is that the contact (or gripping) surfaces of the jaws are not parallel, but rather diverge a bit. The result is the work piece can move side-to-side when mounted in the chuck. Same result when tried on all three Nova chucks I own (Two are nearly new.) I carefully followed the setup procedure. I am just going to get a replacement set. I really like the jaws, allowing for the flaw in this particular set.

hughdrbf

I am in the process of returning a new set of the Pen Plus jaws. The problem is that the contact (or gripping) surfaces of the jaws are not parallel, but rather diverge a bit. The result is the work piece can move side-to-side when mounted in the chuck. Same result when tried on all three Nova chucks I own (Two are nearly new.) I carefully followed the setup procedure. I am just going to get a replacement set. I really like the jaws, allowing for the flaw in this particular set.

Steve, interesting that you posted this - I, too, have a new set of Pen Plus jaws and mounted them, as instructed, on a new G3 chuck. I have the same issue/problem:

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Seems strange that Nova/Teknatool would produce something so obviously wrong.

Steve, did you talk with them about this? I'm curious what their response was.

Quick question for other Pen Jaws owners - are yours machined unparallel as well?

Thanks.

Hugh

SteveG

I bought the jaws thru Amazon, and am just sending them back. But before getting the return auth, I did call Teknatool, and their response was that the jaws should be parallel and this is a defect. I hope I do not get another set that might be part of a bad run. There is no way to consistently get good drilling results with these. My set looked just like yours...same gap, and if you clamp in a true cylinder, such as a ground steel rod you get the same result.

My set also has the issues with the jaws not being parallel. It's limited me to using them for roughing, then I go to a collet chuck for anything requiring accuracy. The jaws are a good idea but in my case anyway, poorly executed.

hughdrbf

Mahalo Steve. I did set a true metal cylinder in there and verified the issue with that. Bought mine directly from Teknatool. Called them this afternoon and spoke with a guy by the name of Michael. I offered, and he asked for me to email to him the pictures. Did so and am expecting a call back from him tomorrow. I'm presuming they'll identify them as a defective build and will send me a replacement set.

Hugh

Last edited:

charliekap

Nova G3 and Pen Jaws Plus

Unfortunately, I need to add to this conversation as my Pens Plus Jaws set just arrived (along with a new Nova G3) and I am having the identical issues as depicted in the pictures Hugh posted. The jaws do not close parallel even with no blank installed. With a blank installed they do not grab the blank in 4 spots which would allow the blank to rotate some. It does appear to be a manufacturing issue.

Charlie Kapper

TwoCatsPens

Unfortunately, I need to add to this conversation as my Pens Plus Jaws set just arrived (along with a new Nova G3) and I am having the identical issues as depicted in the pictures Hugh posted. The jaws do not close parallel even with no blank installed. With a blank installed they do not grab the blank in 4 spots which would allow the blank to rotate some. It does appear to be a manufacturing issue.

Charlie Kapper

I've really been thinking about about getting a set of the jaws, but I think I'm going to hold off until Nova gets this worked out. Way too many people who KNOW what they are talking about are reporting the same problem for it to be just a fluke.

Only way I would order a set now is if I had a promise from Nova that they had actually been mounted on a chuck and checked before being shipped. I doubt that's going to happen. :frown:

Steve

mrrichieboy

I work at a WoodCraft store and here is one complaint I have heard on numerous occasions. Due to the excellent machining on these jaws, the edges and corners are very sharp which will cut if you get your fingers too close while it is turning. A couple of guys have actually filed the corners down and the leading edges of the jaw. This all due to the fact that there are only 2 jaws vs. 4 on all other sets which generally protect us from getting "bit" by the turning set! Have not heard or seen anything about the jaws not being parallel as the photos above have shown.---Rich

SteveG

I mentioned this issue here (post 103), after buying the jaw set and trying them. They are great to use, if the 'not parallel' issue is resolved. I have a new (replacement) set due in in a few days. If this set is good, I do intend to ease the outer edge a bit, as it is quite sharp. This will have some effect on using the jaws in the expanding mode, but I have other 4-jaw sets for that anyhow. These jaws are to be a dedicated pen work set. I just hope I get a good set this time!

charliekap

I called Teknatool about my problem and spoke with a support person who indicated he was speaking with Hugh. He said he got another set of jaws from the warehouse and mounted them on a SuperNova chuck and they did not exhibit the problem. He suggested that I call the vendor I ordered them from for replacement.

Charlie

hughdrbf

Charlie, After seeing your post I spoke with Phil to let him know another customer - you - had posted about the same problem. He said he had just talked with you. Makes sense that he asked you to return the bad parts to the source you purchased from. Phil said he would make sure you were well taken care of.

I'm very positively impressed with Phil's commitment to customer satisfaction. Keep in touch with him - he will make sure everything gets straightened out.

Hugh

hughdrbf

Update - the replacement set of Pen Plus jaws mounted perfectly square and true on my Nova G3 chuck. The jaws meet perfectly parallel.

charliekap

Pen Jaws Plus

Thanks for the update Phil. Unfortunately, I have not received the same responsiveness from my vendor yet. I will give them until close of business tomorrow to resolve this. If no resolution, I will return the Nova G3 chuck and Pen Plus Jaws.

I agree, the conversation with Phil went very well. He does show a commitment to customer satisfaction.

Charlie

Last edited:

charliekap

Well, I never did receive satisfaction from the vendor where I purchased the Pen Plus Jaws. As of yesterday, they were still working with Teknatool to determine what the issue may be. I asked them to grab another set from inventory and test on a Nova chuck but all I got were excuses. I decided to drive to Woodcraft and purchase another set. I took my Nova chuck and tested the new set. They closed perfectly and parallel. I will send the original set back for credit and will spend my dollars elsewhere. Tomorrow I will finally get to test the jaws.

I purchased my set from ten tool and thought the gap was normal. I found the when drill they work well but the hole is not always dead center. I am going to call tomorrow about my jaws.

charliekap

Pen Plus Jaws

Jim, I am not sure if the gap you are seeing is what Hugh and I experienced. If you look at the photos Hugh posted, you will see that the jaws do not close parallel top to bottom,therefore they will not grab the blank squarely.

charlie

Top Bottom