Nova G3 reversible chuck info requested

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
What holds the chuck on the lathe when running the lathe in reverse? If its some sort of grub screw, what does that do to the spindle threads? I admit I haven't researched it much yet, just one of those things I think about while I was in the shower (I am an odd fella huh?). I am going to try out a couple lathes tomorrow, both have the reverse feature. I will like that feature I am sure, especially if I can turn a bowl with the lathe in reverse. It sure would make it easier to see in there I would think. TIA

robutacion

What holds the chuck on the lathe when running the lathe in reverse? If its some sort of grub screw, what does that do to the spindle threads? I admit I haven't researched it much yet, just one of those things I think about while I was in the shower (I am an odd fella huh?). I am going to try out a couple lathes tomorrow, both have the reverse feature. I will like that feature I am sure, especially if I can turn a bowl with the lathe in reverse. It sure would make it easier to see in there I would think. TIA

Well, I have the Nova G3 chuck on my Nova 1624-44 and I the reverse all the time without any issues.

Firstly, the chuck has a grub screw to hold it in place when reversing however, if you are turning between centres, (using the banjo) the chuck won't move even if the grub screw is not tight.

As for the damage on the spindle thread, it will be minimal at the end of the thread towards to lathe head, most of the damage I caused on mine was by trying to remove the chuck with the grub screw still touching the spindle thread but something to not loose sleep about it...!

Can you afford the new Nova 1644 Galaxi..? I which I could..!

Cheers
George

robutacion;1912361 Can you afford the new Nova 1644 Galaxi..? I which I could..! Cheers George[/QUOTE said:
HA!!! Your funny George!!! I just spent my fortunes on shipping from Aus. to me!!!!
I looked at the little Nova Comet II , but ultimately decided on the Rikon 70-220VSR. At $553 I think I got one nice variable speed reversing machine. Now I need to clean my shop to make room for it!

Top Bottom