Nova DVR XP Lathe... I think I'm in love

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kyaggie

After looking, drooling over and reading almost every review available on the web, I finally pulled the trigger and got myself a Nova DVR XP lathe. I turned with it for the first time today and wow, what a wonderful machine!

My situation creates a few difficulties and this lathe takes care of them in beautiful fashion. Because of my MS I have to sit while turning and even though my Jet 1014 was variable speed, repositioning and leaning around to change the belt was not always a quick and easy task. Because of this, I would do things at a less than perfect speed just to keep moving along. The Nova DVR XP, with its direct drive spindle, speed variability from 100 to 3500 rpm is just a button push away. Now I can change the speed to perfectly fit the task at hand.

The other complicating thing for me is that I am left handed and from a seated position, turning the top of a pepper mill or the internal diameter of a bangle or ring was difficult for me and the only way I could reliably and somewhat safely do it was to reposition my Jet so it was sitting at an angle on my bench. The rotating headstock of Nova DVR XP makes this task so easy and safe… wow, what a huge difference!

The spindle rotation is so incredibly smooth and the motor noise is almost nonexistent. The tailstock is very nice with a large diameter quill advance wheel that makes drilling very easy. The lock handles on the tool rest and tailstock are long and move smoothly which results in quick, easy and rigid lock downs. Weighing in at 180 pounds, it will take a pretty out of balance chunk of wood to get it to dance around on my bench. Also, the 1.75 hp motor will more than keep things turning for me even when I get more aggressive than I should.

I'm really happy with the new toy and I already wonder how I turned anything without it!

Take care,
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

Congratulations on the new lathe. I do not have ms but for other reasons I must turn sitting down. I also am left handed and find it awkward to turn the outer end of a turning. I have to turn my chair at a awkward position to finish a turning. I'm glad you have that problem solved.

Fay Prozora

I'm left handed too but I stand while turning. I do have a little trouble shaping things like bottle stoppers and box tops and the like. I stand at an angle to try to get a good shape. I try to get a point on the top of some of my bird houses but I can never get it to go the way I want. I just do the best I can with it. That sounds like a nice lathe to have. It sounds like it's larger than my excelsior mini lathe. Good luck with the rest of your turnings and may you have many beautiful projects coming off that new lathe... Fay

duncsuss

Congratulations on your new tool :biggrin:

I have the Nova 1624, basically the same lathe but with an 8 position belt and pulley system for speed changes. My next investment is going to be the DVR motor which will give me the same variable speed options you have -- it doesn't take me long to change the belt, but I can't go from one speed to another without passing through "stopped", that's beginning to bother me.

One accessory I cannot live without -- the Acruline alignment tool, simply a double-ended Morse taper, gets the headstock and tailstock aligned perfectly after rotating the head. Dead simple, dead easy. Worth the $18 any day of the week :wink:

robutacion

Yes, that is the machine, I one day, would like to have, I have the Nova 1624-44 it's also a great machine but, I hate the belt changing for speed control, appart from the head, everything else on these 2 models is the same, a head replacement costs about $1,700, that is what I paid for mt lathe a few years back so, it may take a while but, I will get it, one day...!

Enjoy the great machine...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom