Nova DVR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

yeah,,, trying to convince SWMBO that I need it. but....She keeps saying "you always say you want a Jet, now you want something different...; make up your mind"

nava1uni

yeah,,, trying to convince SWMBO that I need it. but....She keeps saying "you always say you want a Jet, now you want something different...; make up your mind"

I got a DVR in May and it is a great lathe. The price that Woodcraft has is really a good deal. I got mine on sale and this is $300 less.
Get it while you can.

randyrls

The nicest thing about the DVR is the swiveling headstock. When I hollow a bowl, I don't have to "ride the pony"!

ie. I don't have to lean way over the lathe bed to start a hollowing cut AND a larger swing can be done.

Last edited:

randyrls

Dave; The DVR has no belts! it runs from minimum to maximum speed with no belt changes and has full torque at all speeds. It is fully electronic, not a reeves drive.

The only negative I have is that the speed control has 5 speeds you can preset, and a continuously variable speed. It is a bit clumsy. The speed control consists of an up and a down button (arrow). Press up to raise the speed, press down to lower the speed. It takes a while to change speeds if you just want to ramp the speed by major amounts. You can switch to a preset speed, and then ramp the speed from there, but as I said it is a bit clumsy. I would rather see a set up where after you hold down the button for say 3-5 seconds that the ramp increment increases.

nava1uni

I don't have any problem with the variable speed. It took some getting used to, but once I had it a while it is now easy for me. I don't use the presets, but do like how I can take it up slowly.

76winger

Dave; The DVR has no belts! it runs from minimum to maximum speed with no belt changes and has full torque at all speeds. It is fully electronic, not a reeves drive.

The only negative I have is that the speed control has 5 speeds you can preset, and a continuously variable speed. It is a bit clumsy. The speed control consists of an up and a down button (arrow). Press up to raise the speed, press down to lower the speed. It takes a while to change speeds if you just want to ramp the speed by major amounts. You can switch to a preset speed, and then ramp the speed from there, but as I said it is a bit clumsy. I would rather see a set up where after you hold down the button for say 3-5 seconds that the ramp increment increases.

Thanks Randy, I was mostly wondering in terms of HP to turn larger bowls and vessels, durability over time and such. If a bearing goes out, would it be more costly to replace than on a standard headstock, etc. In other words, if one turned more than just pens, bottle stoppers, peppermills and small bowls, would it still be a desirable alternative to a full-sized lathe?

TerryDowning

Dave,

The DVR Motor used by Nova is the same motor used in the new Shopsmith PowerPro.

It's still really new technology and too early assess long term durability and replacement costs.

That being said, based on Shopsmith's history of durability and repairability, it may be a good choice.

I'm letting others explore the long term implications of DVR technology. I just can't afford it right now.

Splinter

I have had the Nova DVR XP for over two years and I have had some large maple bowl blanks (10-12") 4-6" thick on it with no problem. I have mounted some out of balance ugly oak pieces on it and nothing has phased it at all. The speed switch is not as bad as some make it sound. If you are a production turner it might be an issue but life is to short to worry about such small issues.

NOT to mention, being that it is Direct Drive, it uses Less energy to operate.
Plus, if you connect it to 220V. you get 2.25 horse power. Yet if you only plug in to normal house, 1.5 hp... yeah it is one kickin' lathe

How is the nova lathe in comparison to other full sized lathes. Especially when turning things other than pens.

76winger

Sounds like it could be a decent step up for some projects ranging up to what I'd consider medium-large. And the 220 option might help out on that front as well. I've turned up to a 13 in piece on my Shopsmith using their speed reducer. Yet I keep contemplating what would be a good step into a full sized lathe that doesn't break the bank either. A big Powermatic would be GREAT, no way is one in the budget.

Curly

I have the one with the belts, I just wish you could just buy the dvr head and swap the head out =(

Easier and cheaper to get a 3 phase motor and an electronic phase converter that will change the house single phase to 3 phase and give you the same speed control as the DVR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner because I can't reach my desktop!

Top Bottom