nova comet ii or general maxi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chrisj8221

i am looking at purchasing a nova comet ii model 46000LL Wooden Lathe - maybe even this weekend.

NOVA Comet II Midi Lathe

or the General Maxi

#25-200 General Maxi-Lathe VF+

Any thoughts, concerns or heads-up would be appreciated.

I have already got some great advice from ChrisD123 here, but wanted to see others opinions. I seem to think the Nova has better reviews and is a bit least expensive - but the General seems more robust to me.

Thanks in advance

chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

Although I have no exp with either I'd go with the general.The pivoting headstock,dro,and greater weight to reduce vibration.The Nova does have the various attachments that mount to the headstock going for it though which would be pretty handy.Which features would you make the most use of?Go with that one.

Argo13

I bought a nova comet ii 46000 lathe last year it was on sale with a chuck. After a month of phone calls and various fixes they sent me a new 46300 lathe.

The 46000 was their 2012 model. It had some issues. The biggest was a less than stellar motor. The 2013 version (46300) fixed most if not all those initial issues. It is a good midi VS lathe and I am happy with it. I do not have any experience with the general. The 46300 is around $500 sometimes offered with the G3 chuck thrown in.

I would not recommend the 46000 model. I think you may run in to trouble. Nova service does try to help solve problems but it can be frustrating.

Jason

Frog Morton

I do not have any experience with that General, but I own the Nova Comet II (the improved "2013" version that Argo13 mentioned) and I am very pleased with it.

In my opinion, the package deal that includes the reversible G3 chuck is a deal that is hard to beat.
I got mine for $499 out the door, and when you consider that the chuck alone usually sells for between $135-$175, you are getting a lot of lathe for the remaining amount of money spent.

The variable speed, wide speed range and the ability to reverse are very nice features to have, and I take advantage of them pretty much every time I use the lathe.

I use mine mostly for smaller items (bowls 10x3" and under, pens, small spindle work, etc) and for drilling various sizes of blanks (with my G3 and a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock) and it works wonderfully for that, but I can't speak to how well it would work with larger/heavier items.

The only thing I would have liked is a longer warranty, but for the price paid and what I received, I am not all that concerned with the "1 year motor/2 year rest of parts" warranty that is provided.

:good: from me.

chrisj8221

this is all great info. I had not idea of the difference in model numbers and the years as I want to make sure if i got the comet i got the post 2013 model.

great info - thanks everyone. i will let you know what i decide and how i like it. will probably pick one of them up in the next few days

Top Bottom