No more tools finding the floor.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paintspill

So I made this a few weeks ago but didn't want to post because I sent it to a magazine with hopes of having thrown into the magazine.

The story goes, my lathe sits in the middle of my shop and I don't have a spot to rest my stuff. Tools, glue, sandpaper, etc. So like most of you I rest stuff on the lathe and I end up knocking it on the floor. Now more like buttered bread than a cat, tools land pointy side down. So I made this. Nothing fancy. A piece of 1/4" hardboard, with 3/4" pine trim. I attached it to the side of my lathe through the holes provided for the lathe extension on a hinge. I cut a simple piece of pine to support it and stuck a magnet on the back so it sticks to the lathe. Tada.

Cheers
(oh just realized it could hold a drink)

Attachments

• IMG_00000321.jpg
    IMG_00000321.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_00000318.jpg
    IMG_00000318.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_00000317.jpg
    IMG_00000317.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 457
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

Great idea and very nice work! I had a similar problem but I solved in a slightly different manner. I picked up an old adjustable stand for computer monitors at the local Goodwill Store for a couple of bucks. It was the old kind for larger, non-flat screen monitors. It clamps to the end of my lathe stand and has an extension arm that allows me to move it up and down as well as sideways. This allows me to fold it down out of the way if I want to of raise it and swivel it around right next to me it that is what I need. Not as nice as your more permanent solution, but it solves the problem.

Jim Smith

wyone

Jim. wow.. what an idea... I have one of those in the garage taking up space. Guess I will be digging it out to use for that soon! It was too good to throw out, and I have had it for years trying to figure out a use for it. You have a GREAT idea! Thanks in advance!

SDB777

Marc...wondering how the 'table' works if you have a unbalanced chunk of a bowl blank spinning? Any plans on making the 'holes' for tool holding?

Scott (nice fun project) B

paintspill

Marc...wondering how the 'table' works if you have a unbalanced chunk of a bowl blank spinning? Any plans on making the 'holes' for tool holding?

Scott (nice fun project) B

Haven't tested that yet. At the moment I've only been turning smaller stuff. I might add some tool holders. But I have also been playing around with those rare earth magnets so I can see myself putting some of those on there.

Top Bottom