No Damage Pen Mechanism Disassembly Tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hopefully this has been invented and I could just buy it. I am looking for a "jig" that grabs the exterior of a top or clip-end click or twist mechanism and PULLS the click/twist mechanism away from the barrel. The idea is to avoid inserting a punch inside the barrel and punching-out the mechanism which risks damaging it. I have built a very simple one for the CSUSA Patriot, but want something for click Vertexes. If it can be pushed in; there has to be a way to push it out.

I thought I would enlist the greatest minds while I tap my small one :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Tony; I looked at the PSI instructions. Does the upper fitting come apart? I've pulled the transmission out on 7mm transmissions, but you clamp the transmission in a ring clamp with a washer next to the barrel and then use two screw drivers to pry the transmission out.
the only thought that comes to mind is a hook or expanding end collet that pulls out the nib, kind of like those automotive dent pullers.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hopefully this has been invented and I could just buy it. I am looking for a "jig" that grabs the exterior of a top or clip-end click or twist mechanism and PULLS the click/twist mechanism away from the barrel. The idea is to avoid inserting a punch inside the barrel and punching-out the mechanism which risks damaging it. I have built a very simple one for the CSUSA Patriot, but want something for click Vertexes.
If it can be pushed in; there has to be a way to push it out.
Hi Tony; I've never been successful with the Vertexes. Always had to bite the bullet after destroying the mech. and cannibalize another kit for the new mechanism!

Good Luck in your quest! Maybe somebody has/can!

KenV

Best luck I have had is 3 of 4 removals successfully. I had nothing to lose so I used a piece of paper towel in the barrel between the click mechanism and a punch. Compressed thickness was 1/2-3/4 inches so it is a pretty good sized piece.

Steady tapping removed the click mechanism -- Not whaling on it -- steady tapping.

Theory -- the compressed paper towel distributed the impact across the surface of the mechanism without deforming anything.

Have not tried this with Vertex pens -- Long Click was good for 3 of 4 tries.

Tony;
I've got a Click Vertex as my carry pen and have had some problems with the Vertex click mechanism as well. I think it might work if you make a split holder that fits just below the hex of the mechanism, secure the body, then tap gently to remove the mechanism from the body. A split holder would have a hole drilled the same size as the diameter of the spot just below the hex area; then use a bandsaw and rip the jig almost in half, making a clamp.
I know its not a very good description, but try it and if you are still in doubt, I'll post some pics to help explain!

Top Bottom