New type bushing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

This bushing set is for a Wall Street II. The major (larger) diameter is long enough that it can be chucked up in a metal lathe and the minor diameter is long enough that the two bushings almost meet in the middle of the tube. Both bushings are countersunk. I think this allows for a more solid set up while allowing the bushings to be used in a metal lathe or between centers on a wood lathe. Comments?

Ben

Attachments

• bush 02.jpg
    bush 02.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 352
  • bush 4.jpg
    bush 4.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 314
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Very nice. On shorter blanks it is sometimes not possible to get the tool rest as close as one would like between the centers.

Regards,
Michael

Charlie_W

An additional option for the wood lathe is to use a collet chuck (should one have this Chuck) to hold the head bushing.

If the bushings are machined to tighter tolerances as are the TBC bushings, they should work very well....providing the ends of the blank are square.

Making sure the tailstock and headstock are aligned also helps.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have a couple of bushings like that for the slimline. I don't remember where I got it but it seems like I got them back around 2007 or 8. They allowed me to turn between centers with the slimline.

mecompco

I have a couple of bushings like that for the slimline. I don't remember where I got it but it seems like I got them back around 2007 or 8. They allowed me to turn between centers with the slimline.

I got my Slim TBC bushings from Lazerlinez ($6.00). Made my own TBC Comfort bushings. It would be nice if they were a little longer. I also tried to make a Comfort bushing that would allow the tube to go into the bushing so one could cut the blank for the rubber grip instead of having to part it off. Sadly, my lathe/skills were not up to drilling the hole for the tube to the required precision.

Regards,
Michael

mecompco

Michael,
I like the idea for the comfort bushing, I might give it a try

Ben

Ben, if you can make it work, I'd love to have a set (actually, just need the one for the tube to slip into). I did actually turn a pen with the one I made, but the hole was off center just enough to make it wobble. My questionable skills and my late 40's vintage Craftsman 12x36 just are not up to the task.

Regards,
Michael

mmayo

If you make a set of bushings for comfort/Saturn, Trimline I would like to buy them. Send me an email please.

Rockytime

Idea is good. I would suggest using a collet as three jaw chucks always have some run out unless you are using a Set Tru Buck chuck or similar.

Top Bottom