New Toy! Jet Bandsaw - do I get a fence or roller guides?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Noot17

I managed to snag this at an estate sale today. Runs nice, though I haven't cut anything yet.

I'm curious for people's opinion: I will mostly be cutting pen blanks, bottle stoppers, bowl blanks, etc. I don't intend to do much scroll work right now. Would it be more beneficial to get a fence (what kind? Kreg, Carter magnetic?) or a roller guide bearing upgrade kit?

Thanks!

IMG_3092.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

I would recommend a miter gauge to keep your cuts square when cutting blanks to size. I use one from Incra which is very accurate.
And yes, a fence would also be very useful when ripping wood for blanks.
Gordon

Herb G

FWIW, I'd buy a stock OE fence.
I bought a 12" Jet BS from a guy I worked with.
I wanted a fence for it, but no one had any in stock.
So, I kept searching Ebay & one day, I got lucky.

I did not have to modify my saw in any way to install the stock fence.
That's something to keep in mind.

jttheclockman

I use the Carter magnetic fence. I recommend this because you can set it to the drift of each blade and each blade has a drift. I use it all the time for resawing. Sleds can be made but also suggest a good miter gauge that fits the slots and always can build off that. That is what I do so I can attach and detach sleds easily. I do it on my tablesaw all the time. If you are going to do segmenting on the bandsaw then I recommend a dedicated sled for repeatability, and that is the key word when segmenting.

Again you can upgrade the saw to Carter bearing guides well worth the money. Depends on how much and for what you are using your bandsaw for. I build all kinds of things so I need proficient tools.

Dieseldoc

I would upgrade the roller guide as you can make a fence and other attachments they ls can be up graded later.
Keeping the blade to run true and not drift is done by blade guide.

charlie

greenacres2

I've got a Kreg fence on one saw, but that Carter magnetic is nice. On the saw I use the most, I've got the stock Laguna but 98% of the time I use the sled I made below. The left side is 5 1/8" from blade for cutting blank stock, the right side ledge has markings for various tube lengths (plus the extra)--and I clamp a stop to the mark, no measuring. I've also got a few angled plywood pieces that I clamp on (like one to diagonally cut spectraply or any 5" length blank). Handier than a fence for me.
earl

Attachments

• Bandsaw Sled.JPG
    Bandsaw Sled.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 188

preacherman

I also use a sled for most of my pen blank cutting on the bandsaw. Personally I would build a sled. With most of what you mention cutting that will be suitable for your cuts, pens and bottles stoppers and such, for the bowl blanks most likely you will not be using a fence but free handing the blank to round it up. If I wanted to spend more money I would get the good guides.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I noticed a better cutting with upgraded rollers over an upgraded fence.

Upgraded fence will do some but the tracking and rolling contact of the blades are always the first priority for me, then fence second.

Top Bottom