New shop equipment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

lkorn

This time I really upgraded my lathe. It's an old school shop Powermatic that has been rebuilt and modified with a VFD for electronic speed control. It also runs backwards. Someday I hope to figure out why I need backwards :D

The first pic is my original Craftsman. Note that it is resting on sawhorses. Lots of vibration. The second is my new toy. Note my TImberwolf "AYLA" investigating!

2005328123222_craftsman%20lathe.jpg

2005328123456_Powermatic%2045.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Lary, the ability of a lathe to run backwards comes in real handy when sanding bowl interiors and also, if you are real careful, in using a scraper to smooth out a bowl interior... sometimes you just really really need that ability to get it "JUST RIGHT"... now of course if I were making bowls instead of "designer funnels", I would look into a lathe that runs backwards for my next one...
BTW, that is one ferocious looking Timberwolf you got there.. especially with that pink scarf... LOL... nice looking pup..

PenWorks

Boy, does that look familar [:eek:)]
I think I turned my first bowl on that in 7th grade [:p]
Mr Darr......are you out there........??????

I guess you just solved the vibration problem. [:D]

ryannmphs

Nice upgrade!! My wife also has a wolf, she's a mix of Husky, Malamut (sp?) and Timberwolf (about 65%), with one blue eye and one brown & blue eye. I try not to let her into the shop, since the shop is also my garage, there's just too many chemicals that she could get in to.

Ryan

lkorn

Hey Griz! Tell me more about the designer funnels [}:)].

Ayla is 3/4 Timberwolf and 1/4 malamute. 105 lbs of pure love. She a breast cancer foundation activist, hence the pink scarf[:I]. She's only in the shop when I'm puttering and can keep an eye on her. Never while equipment is running.

Doghouse

Backwards is great! You can also turn backwards, looking into the inside of a bowl without having to lay ontop of the lathe to see what you are doing. Nice machine!

MDWine

Hey Jim! We missed you at Woodcraft on Saturday. Lou and I had a great time, ([;)]at least I did) I was lucky to have him help me pick out a few things. I even got to see (and handle) some of his pens... wow... really...WOW...

I've been inspired...Hope I can live up to it...

Maybe we'll try another rendezvous the middle of next month (right after payday?)

Thanks again, Lou!!!

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom