The new sanding station

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

My old HF 1x30 belt sander has a bearing going out, so that gave me an excuse to build another sanding station with some improvements over the last one. Here's the new one:

A Wen 6515 with "improved" tables. The 5" disc sander portion has been changed to incorporate a full-sized miter slot and the "table" and homemade fence are squared to the disc; the 1x30 belt sander has a Taylor Toolworks Sharpening Tool Rest with a top wooden platform, which is removable to use the Taylor sharpening jig. The pen blank squaring jig is part number ET-SMSQJIG from Exotic Blanks, and I have both Imperial and Metric transfer punches for the blanks. Dust Collection is handled by a Dust Deputy into a Ridgid wet/dryvac , and is shared via a 'Y' and blast gates with my lathe.

Overkill? You betcha... :biggrin:

Sanding-Station-1_web.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I have something similar. Mine bolts to the bed of the lathe with a large diameter washer and bolt. The "fence" has oversize holes so I can square it to the sandpaper. BTW, the plywood backing is a 3 inch faceplate. Had one from my old lathe and couldn't understand why the ends weren't square. The thing wobbled a 1/4 inch off center! Tossed it.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

BTW, I don't square blanks on the sanding station. I use the DP and vise. Takes too long to set up the sanding station, square the table to the disk, take it down, etc. Only would be efficient if doing several blanks.

TonyL

Tony, not in this case. The tubed blank rides on a transfer punch (not shown
in the photo) so I'm squaring to the tube and not the blank.

You are right. My fault. I saw all of the transfer punches but didn't put 2 and 2 together. It is a handsome jig!

Top Bottom