New motor for my bandsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

A couple of years ago, I inherited my grandfather's 70 year old Delta bandsaw. I put about a hundred dollars in minor repairs into it, and have been very happy with the saw.

Today, the motor finally died. Much to my amazement, I discovered it was the ORIGINAL motor. I suspect my grandfather rebuilt it...maybe more than once. I just ordered a new 1hp motor for it. Glad I haven't given away my old Ohio Forge bandsaw, since it will take about a month to get the new motor...it is back ordered. Boy it is hard to go back to the old one though. I REALLY miss that half inch carbide blade!

This is what I bought. Other buyers have used it on bandsaws, so it should do the job for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#productDetails

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Without knowing the specs on it, the thing to watch for is does it have a thermal overload switch??? If it does not then be careful not to overwork it. Even though it is a continuous running motor, if overworked and overheated they will break down the windings and short out. Hope it matches up without too much redrilling. Also check rotation when installed. Good luck and keep those saws humming. You said you did some tune-up on the saw, did you install a link belt??? It might be a good idea to install one now that you are using a new motor. May have to change the pulleys also depending again on the shaft of the new motor. The link belt will help rid some of the vibration transmitted to the blade from motors and pulleys.

Last edited:

sbwertz

Without knowing the specs on it, the thing to watch for is does it have a thermal overload switch??? If it does not then be careful not to overwork it. Even though it is a continuous running motor, if overworked and overheated they will break down the windings and short out. Hope it matches up without too much redrilling. Also check rotation when installed. Good luck and keep those saws humming. You said you did some tune-up on the saw, did you install a link belt??? It might be a good idea to install one now that you are using a new motor. May have to change the pulleys also depending again on the shaft of the new motor. The link belt will help rid some of the vibration transmitted to the blade from motors and pulleys.
Yes, it has a link belt, cool blocks, riser kit, BIG wheel on the top to tension the spring, Kreg fence, aftermarket tilt mechanism for upper wheel, new tires. Iturra Design loves me.

The motor is reversible, don't know about the thermal overload switch. I'll have to check into that. And thanks to a tip from an IAP member, I'll have it next week.

Here is a picture of the old girl...she is only a three years younger than me! (Built in 1946).

IMG_2868-001.JPG

Last edited:

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
If you want a motor in quicker time, you might try Grainger. A lot of industrial customers deal with Grainger for new installations and for replacement motors. If you look at the nameplate on the old motor, you could probably get all the information you need to check out a motor at Grainger: (HP, RPM, Frame Size, Voltage, etc). It's all spelled out on the Grainger site. Most times they'll have the motor you need in stock. Dayton is normally a good brand.
Commercial & Industrial Motors – MotorMatch® - Grainger Industrial Supply

Top Bottom