New Lathe questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MrBubblehead

After trying to make due with my Mastercraft 4504 and realizing just how limiting it can and having a small amount of runout I decided it was soon time to find a better lathe.

I found a Delta ch900c for a steal at an antique store today, bargained with the guy and ended up picking it up for 80$ CAD or 12USD :biggrin:. I haven't even gotten it home yet as wifey wouldn't let me cram it in her tiguan so I agreed to go get it tomorrow with the Subaru.

I am going to have to order a new mandrel as this lathe is MT2 and I was wondering whether there is any preference between buying one with MT2 or one that threads on?

Also wondering what size the tool rest posts are as I noticed it only had a giant one?

Will post some pictures tomorrow, as I tear it down to check it over and clean it up.

Woodchipper

My lathe is set for MT2 plus the headstock is threaded for 1X8 accessories. Sounds like a good deal. My lathe cam with a 3 inch tool rest but I bought a 6 inch tool rest so I can turn two sections at once on the lathe without moving the tool rest. You could have told your wife- If you let me load it in your SUV, the first pen is yours.
I took a pen turning class at Woodcraft and my wife laid claim on the pen as payment for taking the class- Slimline in purpleheart wood.

MrBubblehead

Well I got the lathe home today. Tore it all apart, cleaned the ways and applied a coat of hard wax. I also used a small file to remove some of the rough casting. The tail stock slides like it's on rollers.

Found the motor to be loose so I tightened that up and while I had it apart I got the Reeves drive freed up and lubed. Plan to order two belts for it I as I can get them for 7$. What kind of grease are you supposed to put in the grease fitting in the end of the shaft?

Happy with my purchase just need to find some odds and ends. The handwheel on The tail stock is broken and I have no mt2 accessories.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1497222423458.jpg
    FB_IMG_1497222423458.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 125
  • FB_IMG_1497222430011.jpg
    FB_IMG_1497222430011.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 129
  • FB_IMG_1497222437905.jpg
    FB_IMG_1497222437905.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 145
Top Bottom