New Lathe Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jallan

I am looking to get a new lathe and have been looking at the Grizzly mod.G0462 which is variable speed from 600 to 2400 and has an adj. head that swings up to 360 for larger turning. Anyone have or used this lathe that might be able to give me some in site on it. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I bought this lathe second hand for $100 earlier this year. I like it a LOT. I wish it went down in speed, but only because I read about some being slower. I have never had any issues with the high or low speeds of it. I really like the digital readout. I also really like the swivel head and the banjo that extends to use when it is swiveled out. I have not been able to spend much time with it, but so far, I would definitely buy it again. I wish it had a handwheel on the headstock, but I plan on making one to fit it in the next few weeks. Never had the motor bog down at all , but then I have not turned anything really large either. Just my 2cents worth. :)

low_48

I wouldn't buy that machine. Too high of speed for starting bowl turning if you try to use the capacity they give you. Reeves drives are problematic and noisy. There are way better lathes to consider. If you buy that Grizzly, you will definitely be buying a better one, and then loosing money on this one. I bought another lathe yesterday for $800. Glad I don't have to move it into a basement!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 10.38.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 10.38.00 PM.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 199

wyone

well it is one of those monetary things.. if I had the funds.. . I would buy either a Nova DVR or a Jet 1642evs. That said.. well I will be buying another some day, but not in the budget now, and I have always seemed to buy the best I could, then work my way up to what I really want in as many steps as it takes. In the meantime I find out more about what I really need and also what is most important to me. I figure it is almost like leasing a lathe, until I can move up higher and higher. :)

The reeves drive is a concern, but I would think less of a concern with a new one than an older one. I know mine works perfectly. Knock on wood

thewishman

Jerald,

What kind of turning do you want to do? Just pens or pens and other things? Do you have a budget for the lathe? DO you have a large workspace, or is tool size a factor?

There are other questions, but those three will help us recommend something that will work for you.

alankulwicki7

I had a Jet 1236 (somewhat similar to the 0462). It was a decent lathe but I tried turning the headstock and using it that way but I thought the tool rest setup was too flimsy. On paper it looks like a good idea but it just didn't seem safe to me. It may work for lighter platters but don't plan on turning a 20" bowl with it :eek:
I did not have any problems with the reeves drive. I found a tutorial on how to modify the handle to add another slow speed notch and would recommend that mod to anyone with a reeves drive. Still won't go a slow as my PM 3520 but it did help a lot.

alankulwicki7

Oh, the Jet I had was an old green/blue model that I bought used for $250. I used it for 3 years and sold it back to the same person for $250. Never once had a problem with the reeves drive.

One thing I do wish that lathe had was a hand wheel on the headstock.

jallan

Jerald,

What kind of turning do you want to do? Just pens or pens and other things? Do you have a budget for the lathe? DO you have a large workspace, or is tool size a factor?

There are other questions, but those three will help us recommend something that will work for you.

Chris
My better half said it would be ok to get a new larger lathe but not over $700.00. I do pens and other items like bowels and plates etc. As for space I have a shop in the yard that is 10 x 24 so I do have the room. I have been using a Excelsior 5 speed mini lathe I bought years ago from Rockler but now its time to get bigger and better. I like the way the grizzly lathe head turns so you can do larger items.

low_48

well it is one of those monetary things.. if I had the funds.. . I would buy either a Nova DVR or a Jet 1642evs. That said.. well I will be buying another some day, but not in the budget now, and I have always seemed to buy the best I could, then work my way up to what I really want in as many steps as it takes. In the meantime I find out more about what I really need and also what is most important to me. I figure it is almost like leasing a lathe, until I can move up higher and higher. :)

The reeves drive is a concern, but I would think less of a concern with a new one than an older one. I know mine works perfectly. Knock on wood

You mentioned you paid $100 for your lathe. I agree that it is a good $100 machine, but $600 plus shipping? No way! Way too many used ones out there as well. I had a Delta reeves drive in 1986. It never gave me any trouble either, but when I went to electronic variable speed, NO COMPARISON!!!! That is not a machine to plan on doing larger items. As mentioned above, that two link tool rest is a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:

jallan

I am also looking at a Shop Fox Mod W1758 and comes with a stand. Anyone have or used this one and can tell me how they like it. Thanks

Rodnall

I had the shop fox and it was ok. A little sloppy on the tail stock and had to change belts every so often. Not really made for anything heavy duty.

wyone

I think at that price range you have to decide.. new... with some limits.. or look for used that maybe has less. I probably would look at the Midi lathes like the Jet 1221 VS which will not be quite what you want, but will allow you to step up. It will also retain some value so when you have the funds to step up to say a Jet 1642EVS it wont hurt so much. That is what I am trying to accomplish. Ideally I will be better skilled by the time I move up to one of those lathes as well.

jallan

Well I decided to get the new Rikon 70-220VSR which Woodcraft has on sale this week.
I again would like to thank everyone for their input. It did help a great deal.
Thanks

wyone

I have looked at that lathe numerous times. I think you made a great choice. I know there was a time when my thoughts were to get one lathe to do everything. I have a couple now, but for pen and small work, I go back to the Jet 1014 even though it does not have the same power, or features, it just feels right. I will probably always try to have two. :)

wob50

Yes Woodcraft is having there spring sale 15℅ off jet and powermatic till march 8 or 9 th just got an email from them.

Top Bottom