New lathe coming for Anniversary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

LOML just gave me the nod to get a new mid-sized lathe for our anniversary. Pulled the trigger on the Nova Comet II through Amazon for $481.25 and free shipping. My only complaint is that now Amazon has begun collecting state sales tax. :frown: I've got some swapping around of equipment to do now, but I'll take that. :wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RetiredJake

Billy, please provide an update on how you like the new toy. I'm thinking of getting one next spring and would love to hear some real life use comments.

Thanks,
Jake

I would be very interested in how you like that thing. I have been on the fence about one of those for a few months now. There aren't that many reviews out there on them!

alamocdc

That looks like a nice machine. Are you going for the extra attachments?

Not at this time, Chris. The two features I was looking for were varialbe speed (common in most offerings of this size these days) and reverse switch. Only the Nova and General Maxi have the reverse (I think I saw something about the Delta having reverse, but can't remember for sure). I use the reverse on my Mustard for sanding on everything I turn on it. That is a grrrrreat feature and highly under rated as far as I'm concerned. While the General was my first choice because of its extra weight, I didn't want to scare her off with the nearly doubled price tag.

Dale Allen

Billy, thank you for this post. That is an interesting looking machine.
I have been considering the Delta but now I will reconsider.
At first I could not figure out the strange shape of the tailstock,
Then I noticed the center mounted handle. What a great idea.
I have always wondered why the lever on the small machine is in the back. Very unhandy.

OK Billy misery loves company. I ordered from woodturningz.com now let the waiting continue! This has been such a tough purchase for me. I think having someone else doing this too gave me some courage.

Thanks

alamocdc

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Mike! I got the order canceled and ordered it from Woodturningz. Fitty, Klingspor does have the same lathe, but shipping makes it a wash and I like to support Ryan when I can.

stonepecker

We got the Delta Midi 46-460.
Variable speed and reverse. it is very sweet and I can't believe that anything is better.
We did see a new stand for this lathe. It was designed for someone that is confined to a wheelchair. A very nice set-up. With the bed extention and just as solid as can be. Again, something to look at in the future.

OKLAHOMAN

Billy, Amazon only charges sales tax if shipping in state. Bet your lathe is comming from their distribution center in Garland.

Hey Billy, I got an email from Woodturningz that they are out of the lathes but should have them shortly? ;>( I have waited this long I guess I will call them today and find out how long is a little while!

traderdon55

Billy, Amazon only charges sales tax if shipping in state. Bet your lathe is comming from their distribution center in Garland.

Amazon fought with Texas for a while over sales tax and finally made a deal to avoid penalties over past sales. The deal Amazon reached with the state of Texas requires them to charge sales tax on any shipment going to anyone with a Texas address. Texas considers their distribution center as them operating a business in the state just the same as if they had a retail operation in the state.

Janster

My first post, sorry it is negative..........

:mad:

Last year I bought the Nova Midi by Techna-tool. I have not had it for a year as of yet and I am in the process of getting it replaced for the 2nd time! The first unit would not hold a constant speed, oscillating RPMs. I am on machine # 2 now and it too is starting to have RMP problems and the motor has delveloped a clicking sound that is in time with the speeds as I adjust. I have been in contact w/Techna tool for over two months and they say that they are working on "KNOWN" problems and do NOT have a machine as of yet to replace mine, " We are working on it." Yeah right! I contacted the store I purchased it from and they told me the would give me a FULL refund, this is after nearly a year. Techna Tool stands behind their products but I an NOT sure I will purchase another due to their R&D. Looking at other machinces but there al lot of Pros and Cons to all the ones I have reviewed! Suggestions? Thanks......Jan

alamocdc

Well, it's ordered already so I guess we'll see, Jan. But I do appreciate the heads up on what to look for. Being a fairly new design on the market, it is quite possible that they rushed getting it out to compete with the redesigned Jets and Deltas. And I have to admit, the Delta is my 2nd choice after the General Maxi, but finances and the economy being what they are at the moment, and the fact that Nova has a reputation of turning out good products... I chose the least expensive path.

While it may prove exasperating if I have the same sorts of problems you have, I have two other lathes (actually 3, but one will be for sale soon) I can turn on while waiting on repairs/replacement. Hopefully Nova will get the problem worked out soon. If they have a known problem with the model and they are continuing to sell it, this has to be costing them a small fortune.

I heard back from Woodturningz and hey are right on top of it. They are being shipped right out and they should have them by Friday and they are going to ship them right out! Yeah ha I cannot wait!

Top Bottom