New Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

Well I am in the market for a new lathe. Rockler has this one Nova Comet II 12'' x 16-1/2'' Midi Lathe on sale for $599.00 with a G3 Chuck and a 5 piece set of miniature turning tools. While perusing marketplace I found this deal Jet Lathe jml-1014vsi with stand and box of tools, kits and wood blanks for $400.00 they have told me it is 3 years old but I am hesitant sometimes on used power equipment especially with the rust on the rails I saw. It looks clean otherwise but that is something a rag will take care of.
Should I go new or play with the used jet?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philipff

The rust is only a surface blemish, easily removed by steel wool and then some wax or oil to protect the surface. The important question is: What is the size of the motor and is it in good order, and does it have variable speed? Once you know if those criteria meet your needs then you will have a decision at hand. Philip

TonyL

A new 1015 EVS on sale (15% if you can wait) , will come with a 5 year warranty as will the Rikons. I am not mechanical-inclined, so the warranty is important to me. Jet has even set me non-warranty parts (wear and tear parts) for free within the warranty period.

Brotherdale

I try to buy used when I can. But I am mechanicaly inclined. I have the Jet 1015Vs and it gets rusty from going one weekend to the next. But I am in a very humid part of the country. Oil er up and go.

NVSB4

I think both are great machines and wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Jet.
The difference to me would be the size (10x14 vs 12x16) and the variable speeds (500-3900 vs 250-4000).
You said the Jet come with a stand, do you have room for a stand?
It would also depend on the tools that the Jet came with, are they better than the little mini tools with the Nova, or augment what you already have?

Seer

I think both are great machines and wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Jet.
The difference to me would be the size (10x14 vs 12x16) and the variable speeds (500-3900 vs 250-4000).
You said the Jet come with a stand, do you have room for a stand?
It would also depend on the tools that the Jet came with, are they better than the little mini tools with the Nova, or augment what you already have?

it is a Jet 1014vs so I am not interested in it now she has some kits, blanks, chisels etc to go with it. It belonged to her late husband but I am going to get the nova comet.

Bryguy

Go for the Nova. I have had one for several years now. I love the machine and the customer service is amazing.

Seer

Thx

Go for the Nova. I have had one for several years now. I love the machine and the customer service is amazing.

I was going for thwe one on Rockler but found it on Amazon for $427.00 almost $100.00 cheaper and free shipping. I have a chuck and tools so i am set when it comes in.

Top Bottom