New Lathe? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_W View Post
Just a side note.....I checked out the Excelsior lathe at Rockler. No-where is there any mention of any kind of warranty. I even clicked on the owners manual....no warranty listed.
I do realize as Edgar stated several of these are clones and parts are available.
True I should have noticed that when I purchased it I never did notice that until it was to late. I looked at the Rikon it has a five year warranty I am leaning towards that one. This Excelsior I am having problems with the Tail stock the threads strpped out Eccentric axis so I redrilled it and install a Helicoil and that fixed that problem. Now the Tail stock will not tighten down to the bed it keeps sliding around I adjusted it and it still moves. I also have had problems with the motor getting real hot.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have had the Rikon 70-220 VS for awhile now.Cought it on sale at woodcraft.That sale comes up about 3 or 4 times a year.It has been flawless so far.Except the set screw came loose on the tailstock crank.But a little locktite took care of that.if you have to change the belt speed.Witch I only do for a CA finish to drop it down to about 700-800 RPM it is very easy set up.if you have a Woodcraft nearby it would be nice to compare with the others you are looking at.
tonylumps is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-03-2017, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

I believe that all the clones of this particular 10x18 lathe are made by the Burt Group for various suppliers. Burt's web site states that they will provide free replacement parts for 1 year. I don't know if that applies to their rebranded lathes or just those carrying their original part number (MC1018 in this case), but if anyone has a Rockler, HF, or other clone of this lathe, I would at least contact Burt if there was a problem within the first year & I could not get any help from the actual supplier.

At any rate, it looks like the maximum warranty that anyone might get on these lathes is 1 year.

MC1018-Burt Group Co. Ltd.
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've got one of these which is very good.

Wood Lathe | WL-14-INV | TRUPRO-TEC | Professional Industrial Woodworking Equipment Manufacturer in Taiwan

Not sure if they are available in the US but I know you can get them in Canada. The UK ones are grey or white but they turn up (pun intended) with green paintwork in Canada.
Woodster Will is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Found the Canadian one:

#25-114A M1 ? 14" x 17" "Maxi-lathe VF" wood lathe (variable speed)
Woodster Will is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-03-2017, 03:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Jet and Rikon both have 5 year warranty and very good reputations for customer service. I have a Jet 1014vs that I bought over 9 years ago. I've never had a problem with it. Even the belt is still original. The 1014 isn't available any more but they have the 1015 and the 1221. Check them out.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #17 (permalink)

I have a nova comet and it has been a good lathe. Had it about 4 years now I guess. I have turned a bunch of pens, as well as a few other things. I have recommended this lathe before and will continue to do so for lathes in this price range. You can watch it and catch it on sale occasionally.

However, after use it has developed a little bit of slop in the ways for the tail stock. It will lock down true but you have to pay attention to make certain you get it right. Not a big deal for me as I most turn pens between centers and the short distance really doesn't matter much. But while turning a pepermill recently I noticed that it did cause a bit of problems. If this is your price range I don't think you would go wrong with a nova comet. But I have my eye on a jet 1221 and if I ever catch a used one around me for sale I'll be upgrading to it.

Dale B.

Last edited by preacherman; 10-05-2017 at 11:52 AM.
preacherman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodster Will View Post
US version is branded "Colt" and sold by Barry Gross at AZ SIL
Old 10-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Lou, if you're considering a Jet, they usually go on sale on Black friday. Might be worth the wait if you want to save some money.
Jplupercio_CSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jplupercio_CSUSA View Post
Lou, if you're considering a Jet, they usually go on sale on Black friday. Might be worth the wait if you want to save some money.
-15%...no shipping (or tax if you live out of state). I bought 2 Jets on Black Fri week/weekend.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool professional pool cue repair lathe
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads