New lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
This is my new lathe and the stand I made. After a lot of research, I chose the Rikon 220vsr. I love this machine. Heavy, solid, smooth, and precise, right out of the box! The stand I built myself, I couldn't see paying the price they wanted for the stand, so I designed and built one. The color is off a little bit, but that's the blue the painter at work was shooting, so I had him paint it for me. I apologize for the upside down pictures, I am working on learning what went wrong downloading it.

Attachments

• 20170326_164750.jpg
    20170326_164750.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 289
  • 20170326_164634.jpg
    20170326_164634.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thanks Charlie. I can do a more detailed review on the lathe in a few days, but so far, I am very pleased with it. Also, if anyone needs dimensions for the stand, I have an unprofessional handdrawn blueprint for it that I drew up.

I bought the same lathe around sept of last year. It's a solid machine for the money. Nice job on the stand too. I bought theirs and while it's decent, I don't think it was worth what I paid.

jttheclockman

Make sure the stand is level before you put the lathe on it. Start with a clean slate in case anything is off with the lathe.

Make sure the stand is level before you put the lathe on it. Start with a clean slate in case anything is off with the lathe.

Yes John, I did that. I found a level place on the floor, and left all the bolts loose, and first tightened down the lathe mounting bolts before tightening the rest of the stand bolts. Its very solid, I am pleased with my stand, and it only cost me my time and 89 cents for some nylocks!

I was going to make a smartass comment about "how did you attach it to the ceiling?" But you were too quick for that. Anyhow, congrats on the lathe and real nice work on the stand!

Herb G

I was going to make a smartass comment about "how did you attach it to the ceiling?" But you were too quick for that. Anyhow, congrats on the lathe and real nice work on the stand!
You beat me to that part. It would be interesting to see how someone mounts a lathe to a ceiling though. :biggrin:

jttheclockman

Yes John, I did that. I found a level place on the floor, and left all the bolts loose, and first tightened down the lathe mounting bolts before tightening the rest of the stand bolts. Its very solid, I am pleased with my stand, and it only cost me my time and 89 cents for some nylocks!

Good for you. Hope all works out with the lathe. Many people had good things to say about that lathe so many happy turnings. :)

Top Bottom