New homemade pen drying rack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Guys,

I've seen some fancy rack here and got me thinking of making my own. Today, I finally had time to make and finish it. Nothing too different but I turned a few quickie "beads" for spacers which helps me apply my finish a lot easier...easier access and it fits all sizes that I turn.

Materials were 2 x 36" long 1/4" threaded rod, and a bag of 25 pc nuts.

Beads were made from scrap pen blanks drilled with 13/64" and turned using "B" mandrel.

Stand is also made of glued up scrap 1" x 2" materials. Total cost less than $5.00. I'll probably make a couple more of these when I have time. It really helps applying Tung oil, now I have more control and less chances of messing it up.

Shown are my pens on various stages of finishing...some are my first non-B2B pens :D. I call them my study on pen ergonomics. ;)

20059543420_P1080773a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

You've got a few fancy schmancy pens taking shape there. I really like the ones on the right. It looks like you have the drying rack thing figured out. [:)]

vick

Originally posted by dubdrvrkev
<br />
You're not going to believe it Dario, I actually turned a pen today [:0] Yeah its been a month or two.

Hell Kevin I don't believe it and I saw you in your garage[:D]

Looks nice Dario, of course I may be partial I have almost the same set up in my garage[;)]

Dario

Thanks guys! Until I made 2 more sets of these, I will still keet my old rack because I usually need more than 10 at a time. [:D]

Kevin, I can believe it...I stopped for 8 months remember? [;)] Good to hear that you started again though.

My goal is to have about 100 pen made before Christmas...I hope not to have them all by then but that is the goal production wise.

Dario

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Looking good, Dario!

Billy,

You know you are responsible for these no-B2B pens right? [;)]

My wife called the 2nd (figured amboyna) and 7th (ramone burl) from left my alamocdc pens LOL

BTW, can you spot the 3 black walnut?

Later my friend!

vick

[quote

[/quote]

Dario I can [;)]. You are now part of my evil mission to convince pen makers that "the" Premium American hardwood is suitable for pens.

alamocdc

Originally posted by Dario
Billy,

You know you are responsible for these no-B2B pens right? [;)]
Oh surely not just lil ol' me. [:p]

My wife called the 2nd (figured amboyna) and 7th (ramone burl) from left my alamocdc pens LOL
ROTFL That could be taken both ways you know.

They stick out like BigRob's finger. [:eek:)] Sorry, big guy, I just couldn't resist.[}:)]

Later my friend!

Dario

Vick, Black walnut burl is one of my first favorites actually...second only to maple burl. Of course that is until I got into the more exotic wood...then it fell a few notches down but still in the top 10 [;)]

Billy, I'll admit the non-B2B was not inspired just by you but you played the biggest role [;)]. IF you are not a pen turner, one of those pens could be yours really. I am sending a friend one pen in a few days...he is a turner but for some reason bowed NEVER to make pens. I gave his wife a pen last we met...now I think he should have one too [:)].

I just finished the 2nd stand this morning. Same size but I made it 2 layers. This can handle 12 pens...the other one can handle 23 with zig-zag or staggered holes spaced at 1" OC all ways. I can modify the first one easily but decided not to, rack for 35 pens is plenty [:D]. Now I just neeed to turn more beads and buy more 1/4" threaded rod and nuts and I am set.

MDWine

I did the same thing, except I'm using those tapered washers used for faucets as the spacers! Sure makes finishing and finish sanding much easier!

I use masking tape on the end to protect the threads from finish, and it allows me to date each piece as to when they were sprayed with the last coat of finish.

Dario

Frank they are not bolted down as you can see one is out as an example. They can be easily removed one by one.

Why I put a nut on each is because I want to be able to wipe them without moving....believe me it makes my life a lot easier finishibf off the lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom