New carbide tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Why make 1 when you can make 3 for a few dollars more!:biggrin:

The large one was the first and uses an R4 blade.

The 2 smaller ones use the 10.7mm R2 cutters from Capt Eddie.

Just paying around with the handle shapes here. I have not used to 2 small ones enough to know which is better or more comfortable.

I have more carbide on order so there will be at least 2 more.
Seems to be the way I do things nowadays. The more the better.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• the3.jpg
    the3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 392
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

Love the handles, what is on them, cigar wrappers? I would rather see the carbides recessed to get the cutting edges closer to center mass.

Dale Allen

JD, the image does not show it but the 2 smaller tools do have the blades toward the center of the tool. To get the blade edge to the center of the tool shank would leave very little of support left so it is just set down a little more than the thickness of the blade. I'll probably rework the larger one and recess it more.
The center one uses a hex shank and is designed so that it puts the blade on a 30 degree angle with a flat against the tool rest...both left and right. using it like a horizontal scraper is no more difficult than it would be with a round shank.

And yes, the cigar labels are my unique addition. :laugh:

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
Sweet

Those are really nice.:cool:

Why make 1 when you can make 3 for a few dollars more!:biggrin:

The large one was the first and uses an R4 blade.

The 2 smaller ones use the 10.7mm R2 cutters from Capt Eddie.

Just paying around with the handle shapes here. I have not used to 2 small ones enough to know which is better or more comfortable.

I have more carbide on order so there will be at least 2 more.
Seems to be the way I do things nowadays. The more the better.:rolleyes:

shastastan

Great job on those, Dale. It's interesting how our choices for diamter, style, and length of handles varies so much. I thought I would like short handled tools for pen turning, but I seem to reach for the long handled tools more.

Old Codger

Dale...NICE turning! I've been wanting to make a couple or three wooden handles for my Eddie Castelon tool bars and yours look darn near perfect! Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you!

wob50

Got my steel today be ordering inserts soon. will look into captain Eddie ,how has he be doing any update on him.

Dale Allen

Robert, he is on the road to recovery, however long that takes is the question.
When I ordered from him just before Christmas I got a bit too impatient about the order. It did arrive via postal in a timely manor however.
An order from AZ Carbide is due here any day now. Cannot yet attest to the cutters or quality just yet. I ordered a 15mm 6" radius and a round cutter. Total order was $17.40 shipped so it is on par with Eddie.

Top Bottom