Needing opinions on two lathe options.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aj r

I have a nova 16-24 that I have mainly used for bowls, but it is a lathe that has been riddled with problems. As I have been getting more and more into pen turning I was thinking about getting another smaller lathe with it's primary use being for pens and other smaller items.

I found a couple on craigslist that look like they might fit the bill. Does anyone here own one or have any experience/input on them and their prices?

Jet 1014VSI - $250

Delta shopmaster 12 1/2 midi lathe (no model listed, but it looks to be an la 200 from what I have researched)- $295

Both are advertised as nearly new, and they look perfect in the pictures.

Thanks for your help.

JimB

I've had my Jet 1014VS (variable speed) for 9 years. Runs as good as the day I bought it. I use it for all small turnings as I have a larger lathe for bowls. The only thing I have ever done to it was take apart the tailstock to clean it as it was getting stiff. That took me 5 minutes. Mine still has the original belt, bearings and everything else. In my opinion, even if it is in only good condition it is worth the price and more.

KenV

Have a Jet 1014 vs that I got on closeout about 8-9 years ago. Jet quit making them then.

Low hours maybe, but years of time since they were made. Mine was under $400 with sales tax. Good lathe and still running well.

I have a big lathe and it does pens nicely with less vibration and lots more power at slow speeds.

Top Bottom