Need TBC Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

I need a little help. I have bought the dead center for turning between centers, however, I never did get the bushings. I have tried JohnnyCNC's website and it seems as though he is "SOLD OUT" of the bushings I need. Does anyone know of another source for these bushings? I need them for Sierra/Gatsby's, Slimlines, bolt-action rifle pens (3/8), and 30 cal. bullet pens. Any help one could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan26

Dan, I haven't used bushings in a while. I use a caliper and turn to size. It may take a few minutes longer, but it works for me. I got tired of sanding them under-size and then having to use my caliper to measure anyway. Like I said, it works for me but may not be for everyone. One drawback could be that the centers may flare out the tube a bit if you put too much pressure on them, but I haven't had any troubles with assembly being loose, so I just keep with this method.

That is the same website that is sold out. Depends on what kit you are wanting them for check with lazerlinez.com, Constant is a member here as well.

Dan Masshardt

I have some from both of those suppliers. Given options and stock, I'm surprised there are more places making / selling them.

Somebody else on her messages me before that they can make / sell them. I don't think they actively market them though.

longbeard

I do not have TBC bushings for all of the pen styles i do, and for those i use the standard bushings for those styles to " get me close ", then its just between centers and the calipers to finish to size. Just my way of doing things. Hope it helps.

yaroslaw

Don't know what makes TBC bushings "special", I am just using normal bushings to turn between centers. I turn 0.5-0.7mm oversize, then remove bushings and turn to size with calipers (leaving 0.2mm for sanding, but it depends on material).

Dan Masshardt

Don't know what makes TBC bushings "special", I am just using normal bushings to turn between centers. I turn 0.5-0.7mm oversize, then remove bushings and turn to size with calipers (leaving 0.2mm for sanding, but it depends on material).

Regular bushings usually work ok, but tbc bushings have 60 degree drilled ends for the centers.

SteveG

Two main differences between "stock" bushings and those from Penturners Products is the precision of the item and the hardness of the material used. Some turners usethe bushings as the reference for turning to size, making the custom bushes a great improvement. Use with care, they will not get sanded down too rapidly. That said, many, myself included, use bushes to get "in the ball park", and then remove the bushes and finish turning, plus do all the sanding between centers. The digital calipers are a must for this approach. Sometimes I do not have bushings, but can use some from a different kit with the same tube size, turning down until I am ready to go between centers.
Steve

Jim Burr

Banned
Two main differences between "stock" bushings and those from Penturners Products is the precision of the item and the hardness of the material used. Some turners usethe bushings as the reference for turning to size, making the custom bushes a great improvement. Use with care, they will not get sanded down too rapidly. That said, many, myself included, use bushes to get "in the ball park", and then remove the bushes and finish turning, plus do all the sanding between centers. The digital calipers are a must for this approach. Sometimes I do not have bushings, but can use some from a different kit with the same tube size, turning down until I am ready to go between centers.
Steve

Another point is accuracy. The holes on conventional bushings can be off center by a few thousandths and there is no guarantee they are round to begin with.

Neededwill

When I needed some I was contacted by Nikitas. He had what I needed and I got them quick and they work great. So I suggest that you send him a PM and see if he has what you need.

You can add your own 60 degree chamfer to regular bushings. I do it all the time if I have a set of bushings that I want to turn between centers with. I do use my metal lathe for this though.

Top Bottom