need a replacement tool rest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darcisowers

still learning where the different topics go... so please move this post if it belongs elsewhere...

where is a good place to get a good tool rest? I have a GIANT tool rest on my lathe (seriously, 10 inches?), and I suspect that it's not going to be very good for pens, as I'm planning to turn center to center, and I probably won't be able to get close enough with this tool rest. And a related question: which is better for center to center turning, 4 or 6 inches?

I'm already contemplating getting a different lathe (the one hubby found and is working on getting running is an old Craftsman monotube that was "new" in the box; but it is MT1) because today I found a FAB deal on craigslist. This "new" lathe is a Jet 1410, but it is MISSING it's tool rest completely, so my tool rest question is still valid.

:biggrin:Darci

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Darci. It's me again!!

CraftSupply has a nice system where you can buy the tool post and then buy several tool rests that attach to the post: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...ol_Rests___T_Bar_Tool_Rest___t_bar_rest?Args=. but you could also go down to your local machine shop and get something made pretty cheaply.

JohnnyCNC (Yes I keep sending you to him. But that is because he has good product at good prices) also has several different systems. http://penturnersproducts.com/index...Path=5&zenid=d4c37239ff4931e956f8e3663b963f0f

You know my vote. The craftsman is an OK lathe but it doesn't hold a candle to the Jet.

ldb2000

Darci ,
First , welcome to the group .
Second , when you say missing the toolrest COMPLETELY do you mean just the part that you rest your tools on or the complete banjo , the part that slides on the lathe bed that has the tool post holder as well?

Rifleman1776

Go to a local welding shop and tell them exactly what you want. I can get one made up for about $10.00.
Or, buy a second tool rest and cut it down to the size you want. This can be done with a welding torch, high speed cutting wheel or the laborious, but inexpensive way, with a hacksaw.
You can also spend a lot of money with the suppliers mentioned.

Texatdurango

"....as I'm planning to turn center to center, and I probably won't be able to get close enough with this tool rest. And a related question: which is better for center to center turning, 4 or 6 inches?"

Neither....... I use a 2.75" rest (shown below)! :)

I decided to go with the T- Bar tool rest system and bought mine from a small "mom and pop" company who had the most reasonable prices at the time: http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/tbarmodtools.html

The nice thing is the interchangability! I have two lathes, one large and a Jet mini so I bought a post for each lathe but the tool bars work on either post so only had to buy one set of tool rests. For pen turning I use the 6", 4" rests.

When I started turning center to center I soon realized that a shorter rest was needed so Rick, who goes by Rherrell on the IAP forum made me one to my exact specifications which was 2.75" long. This little baby is PERFECT for working blanks center to center! If you need a custom tiny rest, Rick is your guy!

Here are a few shots of my rests. I use the 6" for longer blanks then switch to the 2.75" rest for turning center to center, note how close to the work I can get without interference!

Attachments

• toolpost1.jpg
    toolpost1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 511
  • toolpost2.jpg
    toolpost2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 539
Top Bottom