Need help with this lathe!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1JaredSchmidt

My cousin (our neighbor) just went and bought this lathe. He's gonna be a member on this forum soon. He's 13 years old and his user name will probably be Mitchel. Does anyone have this lathe? He hasn't got it yet and he won't for about 2 weeks yet,but he want to buy some accessories and tools now. What's the TPI and the MT? Thanks!:confused::wink:

Here's the link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38515

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

altaciii

Jared,
When I first got the fever and wanted to get in as cheap as possible, I bought the same lathe. I sold it 2 weeks later. It's not very stable and way to big for the job I wanted it for. Tell you cousin to save his money and buy something that is worth the effort. I found out that the lathe is the least of our expenses.

Hayseedboy

I agree! Return it without question. They will give him his money back or at the very minimum he could trade it's value for sandpaper, drill bits etc.

He needs to save a little more money and buy something that won't discourage him.

lr

Jarheaded

I have one sitting in storage. I received it from someone that had no idea of what they bought. I am slowly cannabilizing it for parts, thats about all it is good for. The whole bed will twist and I couldn't bring myself to even try it out. Send it back and tell him to wait until he can find a decent lathe.

kirkfranks

You said that he won't get it for about two weeks. That leads me to believe that it may not have shipped yet. Tell him to try to cancel before it ships so he can save on shipping.:usflag:

redfishsc

He'd better find something wrong with it quickly (the lack of accessories should be enough "wrong") and take it back.

Whatever lathe he gets, TELL HIM TO BE SURE that it has a MT2 headstock and tailstock. Most every pen accessory that uses the MT is an MT2. Avoid MT1.

That being said, Penn State's Turncrafter lathes are usually the lowest priced lathes and tend to get good reviews.

I have the Delta and do not like it for what they charge for it. All the locks (tailstock, motor, ram) are very cheesy and do not hold very well.

1JaredSchmidt

He got it Thursday and sent it back Friday. It came with some handles broken,the tail stock didn't line up with the headstock,and he didn't like how you adjust the tool rest and the tail stock with bolts. He don't have alot of money so he needs a cheap but good lathe. Any suggestions?

les-smith

DurocShark

I have both that large piece'o'junk lathe and the benchtop one Randy linked to.

the big one is stable enough for bowls, but the speed is really too high. The tailstock won't come close to lining up with the headstock. There is a good half inch of slop in its mounting.

I'm thinking about just cutting off the bed and devoting it to bowls and such after I pulley it to turn at a much slower speed. I've done some decent work on it, but could never do pens worth a @#$ on it. As soon as I got the little one, my work drastically improved.

Oh, and the tailstock has a #2 morse taper. The headstock is solid.

Top Bottom