Need advice on fixing easywood tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

So I screwed up. One of the main tools I use is the Midi easy wood Finisher (the round insert) Ci3. Well, I have not lubed the hex screw for a while and the bugger stuck. Tried a lot of things to loosen it - and chatted with the company that makes them - they have been very helpful. Finally decided I needed to drill off the tip of the screw. Still couldn't get all of the screw out. After a few different attempts, I now have a hole all the way through, but still pieces of the screw stuck in there and a HIGH likelihood that I have screwed up the threads. The original screw is a 4x40 5/16. I don't yet know much about threading or retapping things. Any suggestions?

And yes, I do eventually plan on turning with traditional gouges and skews, but haven't had the desire/time/$ to get set up to sharpen well.

Thanks,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

First thought is some heat may help out but don't know for sure, but I'm replying to track this one cause I could totally see this happening to me

Janster

......could have, should have, used a heat gun or small torch to heat the body of area that the screw was in. It most likely would have expanded thus letting you unscrew the bolt. Use Anti-Sieze on the threads IF you can get the remaining threads out! The only viable action that I can think of now is to try an easy out tool. Also if you know of someone with a cutting torch they maybe be able to melt the bolt threads out w/o harming the the body, DAMHIKT. Maybe try contacting Easywood, they may offer to repair it very modestly or perhaps free if you pay shipping both ways, worth a shot! Good luck and be well.......Jan

Last edited:

lyonsacc

"Is that smoke smell from you?" my wife yelled down to the basement. "Yeah, sorry" was my reply. So I got the few remaining pieces of the screw out with the heat from a torch. Unfortunately I have trashed the threads.

Does anyone know if retapping/rethreading the bar might work?

Thanks,
Dave

monophoto

The first step is always getting it loose. The second step is repairing the damage you did to get it loose.

(and by the way, that truism applies to many things, not just turning tools. Let me tell you about my lawnmower blade - - -)

If you didn't bung up the threads too much, running a tap through them could clean things up enough that a new screw will run in just fine.

Worst case is that the threads are bunged up too badly. In that case, you have two options. The less drastic is to use the existing hole, but use a larger tap to thread it for a larger hole. I suggest taking the replacement cutter to the hardware store to buy a couple of replacement screws before you tap the hole - make sure that a larger screw will fit the hole in the cutter.

The more drastic solution is to grind off the end of the bar, and then drill and tap a new hole. That sounds like a lot of work, but it really should only take a few minutes to do if you have the right tools.

In either case, the tap that you will be using is fairly small, so you will need to take your time and not be too aggressive in tapping the hole. Use some light oil (3-in-1, WD40, or even PAM) to lubricate the tap, advance the tap no more than 1/8 turn at a time, back it out to clear the chips, and the move forward. It is entirely too easy to snap off a tap if you try to cut the threads too quickly (DAMHIKT).

Last edited:

nativewooder

It's called continuing education! We've all been there in some way, shape, or form. Next time you'll probably call the manufacturer before ruining the tool. However, Easywood Tools may fix it for you as a gesture of "goodwill". Give them a call.:wink:

Rick_G

You may have to drill it out and retap for a 6/32 screw. Next choice as Paul said check with a local machine shop they may grind a new profile on the end for you and tap a new hole. If you have a grinder it's not that hard just be slow and easy when tapping the new hole. Lots of cutting fluid and no more than 1/4 turn forward and then turn back a bit. You can feel the cut chips release when turning backwards then you know you can go forward again.

lyonsacc

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to stop my attempts to fix it. Easy Wood Tools has graciously asked me to return it to them so they can try to fix my mess.

lyonsacc

If you need another one, I'll give you a discount on the one I have posted in classifieds.

I suspect it will take a week or two to get it back from them - since I haven't gotten in the mail to them yet . . . But if it is still available then and they can't fix my mess, I'll be sure to let you know.

Dave

Top Bottom