Need 1-1/4” x 8TPI Lathe Chuck Options

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey All

So, I got some good news today. My Laguna 18/36 will arrive a couple weeks ahead of schedule. My electrician just finished installing new plugs and now I just have to get my shop sorted as I'm doing a major interior overhaul.

The problem is that I'm switching from a 1" x 8TPI spindle to the Laguna's 1-1/4 x 8TPI spindle. Right now I'm using a PSI Barracuda 3000CTN Kit that I absolutely love, but it won't fit my new Lathe without an adapter. While I have a PSI adapter on order, I would like to get a full Chuck Set with the proper 1-1/4 x 8TPI threads.

Does anyone know if there are any good 1-1/4 x 8TPI Chuck Set?

As always, thanks all!

Pen Turning on the Rock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

oneway stronghold for larger work, talon for smaller work.

That's my suggestion. And a bonus is that you don't have to import them. Made in Canada.

Ed

Last edited:

Dieseldoc

I have used strong hold 1 1/4-8 chucks for several years and have three of them. Great chucks. You won't be sorry to pend a little more for one way quality.
Charlie

randyrls

Most of the higher quality chucks have a built in adapter. I have the Stonghold and jaws. The cost for my jaws is more than the chuck was! Be sure to factor the cost of jaws into your buying decision.

Fish30114

Well, I do not have as much experience as many around here, but I can say without a doubt after turning for 7 years, if I had to have only one chuck it would without question be an Easy Chuck from Easy Wood Tools--the jaw changeout literally takes seconds!! I have a Supernova 2 I got when I first started, and would literally give it to you, I hate the lefty tighty function of it--it's really a good chuck though...my other chucks are Vicmarcs, and they are super good,but still the Easy Chuck is head and shoulders above them all.

So my advice would be to bite the bullet and buy an Easy Chuck.

Curly

It's a good chuck but the Newfie will end up paying over $260Can to get that Supernova from Woodcraft. He can get it cheaper from a Canadian source like KMS.
https://www.kmstools.com/nova-super-nova-2-standard-chuck-410

Bringing stuff across the line costs him much more than you would think. Higher postage (double or triple), exchange ($196Can = $150US) and then on those he pays tax of 15% on the tool and shipping with a brokerage of $10Can. The costs are higher for FedEx, UPS etc. That's why it is usually better if he can find something from a Canadian company.

It's a good chuck but the Newfie will end up paying over $260Can to get that Supernova from Woodcraft. He can get it cheaper from a Canadian source like KMS.

https://www.kmstools.com/nova-super-nova-2-standard-chuck-410

Bringing stuff across the line costs him much more than you would think. Higher postage (double or triple), exchange ($196Can = $150US) and then on those he pays tax of 15% on the tool and shipping with a brokerage of $10Can. The costs are higher for FedEx, UPS etc. That's why it is usually better if he can find something from a Canadian company.

That is the Killer here in NL. Everything is much more expensive, plus high sales tax, weak CDN dollar and crazy shipping.

Pen Turning on the Rock

Sylvanite

Both Beall and PSI sell 1 1/4" to 1" spindle adapters. I use one (I think it's the PSI version) to mount my Barracuda chucks to my lathe (along with a spacer I made from a piece of bubinga because the threads are too long for the chucks). It has surprisingly little runout for an adapter.

I hope that helps,
Eric

donstephan

You'd have to pry my Vicmarc chuck and jaws from my cold hard fingers (lol). I trust implicitly the dovetail grip and often I'll turn up to a 8" or so bowl with a tenon little more than 1/8" high.

Top Bottom