Myford ml-8 wood lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheelman

So a buddy of mine is looking to get into wood turning and know someone selling an old Myford lathe, silver in color if that helps with the age. MT 1, either 36 or 42" long. From the research I've done I would guess 70's or 80's for when it was made. Are parts still available, specifically belts? The belt on the lathe looks like it may be 1" leather pieces riveted together...I've never seen anything like it. Anyone have any info on this lathe and what a fair price would be? He's also selling a lot of turning tools, probably 25-30 different gouges and chisels...all Robert sorby tools with orange handles, they look to be about the same age as the lathe. Thanks for any info you can provide

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

Those tools are worth money. Are they the super thick ones?

I know nothing about the lathe. How much is the stuff going for?

Last edited:

Wheelman

Yes the tools are thick, stamped on the metal with Robert Sorby Sheffield England, I believe. He does have one newer tool marked HSS. The guy selling them got them from his father and has no interest in keeping any of it. He doesn't know much about it, I'm trying to get an idea of what a fair price would be for the lathe and if it's even worth it. What makes the tools worth money? Is it the collectibility? I'd imagine the metals used now are better.

Wildman

Here is a picture of one version not sure which model you are looking at, but and very popular 1950's-1980's.
http://www.scammellauctions.com.au/...duct/476/fe20dda90c66fa5af0aef23ae331b9b4.jpg

Not too many exported to North America, have seen a few pictures of the bigger Myford bowls lathes here and Canada.
Before can tell how much to pay for any used obsolete wood lathe need to see and hear it run. Might take someone with you if do not know enough to tell.

Neither old lathes nor tools appreaciate in value, so if lathe runs good make what think is a fair offer, or simply tell person what you can afford.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

The old Sorby's are not like the old craftsmans.

They are high quality steel, whether hss or not.

I have 3 of the heavy duty ones. I had 3 more that I sold very quickly - they have a great reputation.

John Den

I've got an Myford ML8 and still use it as my wood lathe.
Myford just gone out of business but there is little to go wrong with this lathe.
The belts are easy to obtain from Auto shops as the V(fan Belts)
The lathe is solidly built with adjustable headstock bearings that last forever.
It has 4 speeds changeable by moving the belt on the 4 pulley slots.
You can still get chucks to fit over here.
The power source is a 1/2 horsepower electric motor
Regards,
John

Top Bottom