My Workshop tour... picture intensive

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GRadem

I just did some new photographs of the interior and exterior of my shop.
The building has been a 15 year project that is close to being complete and we've built it all ourselves.

All the material to build the exterior was salvaged except for the cedar shakes.
I posted recently in "Things we make" forum with pictures of the rock work I've done. I thought some might enjoy a tour of the interior. I started collecting the machinery from the first day I started the building. I will do it in a couple of posts as I get the time.

Attachments

• Woodshop2.jpg
    Woodshop2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 717
  • woodshop interior.jpg
    woodshop interior.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,109
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 998
  • IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 714

GRadem

More interior photos. 48" timesaver double drum sander. My Powermatic wood lathe under a cabinet I transformed from a cabinet my dad made me 15 years ago. A peerless power hacksaw for the metal shop.. it weighs 1900 lbs.
and the final is a photograph of the back door to the garage. It is paneled White oak, the stiles are 2 1/2 inches thick. My dad has a woodmizer bandsaw so we cut our own lumber. The framing around the door is poured concrete. A form was built to the design and we hand mixed and poured the individual forms.. it was a real task to lift them in place with block and tackle.

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 478

OOPS

As I looked at these pictures, I was saying to myself, "I wonder what he makes with all that equipment?" And then I realized....."Anything he wants!"

You have a beautiful building there. Thanks for posting the photos.

boxerman

Nice shop. I like outside of the shop looks old limestone is that what it is? Where in Minnesota are you? The door is really nice.

Last edited:

GRadem

More of the workshop tour.. A Monarch 10EE precision metal lathe, and two views of the atlas metal lathe. I just got the Monarch in January and I don't use the Atlas any more but it is nice to look at and it is like new. I am a portait photographer by profession and I need a spray booth. I have a 7'x10' Binks metal walk in and it is located in the metal shop. There is still room for my wifes car in the garage and once in a while she requests I move stuff for her to get the car in at night.

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,128
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 497

GRadem

To OOPS, The equipment has paid for themselves so many times over I never regreted buying a single one. Here is a kitchen and living room I built for my wife a few years ago... it was a four year project. Man, my projects all take a long time!

Attachments

• new kitchen 2 email.jpg
    new kitchen 2 email.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 599
  • New living room copy.jpg
    New living room copy.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 539

Padre

You do some absolutely stunning work. That kitchen and living room, and the building..............just wow.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Something seems to be a little off here.:confused: I like your place better:redface:
Great work!

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0798-1.JPG
    IMG_0798-1.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 252

InvisibleMan

An absolutely stunning building - inside and out! Thanks for posting these. I had fun looking. That last photo in the first post looks like a postcard!

robutacion

To OOPS, The equipment has paid for themselves so many times over I never regreted buying a single one. Here is a kitchen and living room I built for my wife a few years ago... it was a four year project. Man, my projects all take a long time!

Well, it may be so but, the results are just specular, great workmanship, Sir...!

On the other hand, I don't think that I would like a project to last that long, I tend to work my "bazooka" off, until I see it done and I don't rest until I do, this my friend has really great disadvantages, you over work yourself, the body gets a bitten and in the end, because you have finished the project so quickly, you are going to get another project on your shoulders, like it or not, as wife's seem to like seen us busy, huh...???

I wish that I had the temperament and patience to take most projects without rushing to have then finished. The enjoyment of being able to seat back, look at it and move away is something that I believe is a good thing and a much healthier way of living but, we are all different and that is that however, I can appreciate those that have the ability and take the time to embrace projects like yours so, my congtrats...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Very nice I like the stone. Something like that is impossible to build down here. No snow... What did you have to do for permits? Down here you have to have at least one inspection every 6 months to keep the permit active.

GRadem

mreburm.. just the original building permit. We live in a very rural agricultural area.
The building inspector said he didn't need a blueprint but as long as I didn't draw the plans on toilet paper he was OK with it. I don't recall the building inspector ever even came out and I only needed an electrical inspector to come when I put the spray booth in. I think the building permit was something like $50.. boy have times changed! Its great to live in the country.

Alzey

WOW......One of your descendants will be able to say, "My grandfather's grandfather built this". Absolutely stunning work.

WWAtty

That is one awesome shop with some great tools. And what an idyllic location, too! Nice job!

Papo

Wait a second that is not a work shop!!That's a manufacturing plant if I ever saw one.All you need its Metal Stamping Press and couple of production lines with workers :)
NICEEEEEEEEEEE ENJOY

RDH79

If I had a shop like that I would never leave. I worked in a furniture factory for 19 years and we had machines just like that. Awesome shop

brownsfn2

Amazing. Makes my basement look like a dungeon. Very nice work there. I can' believe the kitchen and living room. Looks really good. The exposed beams are really cool!

Haynie

Not only does he build an amazing shop he happens to locate it in a thomas kinkade painting. All that is needed is a small swirl of smoke coming from a chimney. I am SO envious.

Gilrock

It didn't look like you had enough equipment to take up that whole building. I assume you use the rest of the space to hold church services. :)

Top Bottom