My PSI Pen Press XL Experience

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I bought this after accumulating about a dozen kits, over 4 + years, that required disassembly. I was putting it off because most of them were really worth salvaging and I didn't want to bang-them apart with my transfer punches and hammer.

As far as a pen press I still like the lathe inserts the best (I have owned the more traditional types..milescraft etc.), but I really like this thing for pen disassembly. I haven't tried it on many pens styles, but don't see why it wouldn't work for most kits. It is definitely no feat of modern engineering and quality, but it did the job nicely for me. I can see Rick H building one that would blow all of us away, but this worked.

I had a 20% off coupon from PSI, but it was less expensive on Amazon for some reason (arrived brand new, sealed box, go-figure). Anyway, I like it and used it to press a pen too.

For what it's worth.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

Thanks for the review and heads-up about Amazon. I think I'll order one to replace my old DIY press (which is about 1" too short to handle the bigger pens). Any problems with pieces flying when you disassemble a pen?

TonyL

Thanks for the review and heads-up about Amazon. I think I'll order one to
replace my old DIY press (which is about 1" too short to handle the bigger
pens). Any problems with pieces flying when you disassemble a pen?

I would just check Amazon. I bought it Wednesday. I paid 50 or 55. No parts flying, but I was careful. It is much easier to be careful without the hammer-blows. :).

Last edited:

gtriever

I broke down and ordered one, and tested it today. Disassembly is smooth. If I have one quibble, do you have any trouble fitting the part into the jig using the supplied plastic tubing?

TonyL

If I have one quibble, do you have any trouble fitting the part into the jig
using the supplied plastic tubing?

The only "trouble" I have is having to remove both red wing-nuts to initially fit a larger diameter part. It would be nice if the threaded rods were longer, but they length has not prevented me from dissembling any large parts.

Separately, I did cut the rubber tubbing into 1.25, 2, and >2 inch lengths.

jxdubbs

I have this pen press and I love it. I've messed up plenty of pens in the short time turning them and it's been fantastic using this for both press and dissembling.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bsshog40

I have the penpressxl also. It works great. The only modification I did was make a small hardwood adater to fit over the spring loaded stopper. It was hard getting the clip stud to go in as it wouldnt line up with the premade alignment hole they have it. I place my block over the stopper to press the rear stud in now. Lol

TonyL

I am going to add a small circle of adhesive-back felt or rubber to the metal plunger end. I haven't marred any components, but I think is will add sum friction or drag.

gtriever

I am going to add a small circle of adhesive-back felt or rubber to the metal plunger end. I haven't marred any components, but I think is will add sum friction or drag.

That was my thought as well. One of the felt furniture pads from the hardware store should do the trick.

StanBrown

I have this pen press as well and I do like it a lot. I was also dubious about the metal plunger from both a marring standpoint and the fact that it is frictionless, with no method of holding a pen part in place as you press it. I had some self-adhesive non-skid foot pads left over from another project. one of which was exactly the size I needed. I stuck it on the end of the metal plunger and performance increased dramatically.

larryc

I have a Jr. Statesman that I have been pounding on with a transfer punch and the coupling just won't come out. Has anyone used the penpressxl to disassemble a Jr. Statesman?

mrburls

I have a Jr. Statesman that I have been pounding on with a transfer punch and the coupling just won't come out. Has anyone used the penpressxl to disassemble a Jr. Statesman?

Yes I have taken one about recently with ease and no damage.
This press works great for taking pens apart.
Keith

larryc

Yes I have taken one about recently with ease and no damage.
This press works great for taking pens apart.
Keith

Thanks. I think I will order one. I need something to take to shows since the Irwin clamp I've been using to assemble pens doesn't work on all pens. I use the Milescraft in the shop, but it is mounted on the wall and it doesn't do disassembly.

Top Bottom