My New Shop Toy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

Congrats Jim,
Thats one heck of a lathe!! I would tell you to go out and make some shavings but you beat me to it!!!

JimB

Congrats, those are solid and powerful machines, I hope you have lots of logs to turn and big bins to put all the shavings...!

Good luck,

Cheers
George

Thanks! I have at least 15 large blanks from logs that were to big for my Grizzly. Plus, one of the local club members gave me 7 large blanks when he heard I was getting the PM. The shaving you see in the pic are from one of his blanks. As to where to put all the shavings, that's another problem.

JimB

Congrats Jim,
Thats one heck of a lathe!! I would tell you to go out and make some shavings but you beat me to it!!!

All those shavings are from one blank. It was a 12x14 blank from a log (not sure how thick). Normally I would have put it on my circle jig on my bandsaw to get rid of the extra but this was a test to see how it performed with an out of balance piece.

Thanks again for the feedback on the Laguna 1836. I just couldn't say 'no' to the Powermatic at such a great sale price!

JimB

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for it?

$3200 + $60 shipping from CSUSA. That's 22% off, a savings of almost $900. The sales goes until the end of the month or 'while supplies last'. PM is coming out with the 3520C soon so they may be looking to clear out the 3520B models. No one knows the price for the C but rumors have the increase from $400 to $800.

eharri446

Thanks, that matches the price I was quoted at my local Woodcraft store, except that they have several still in the boxes on hand.

JimB

Thanks, that matches the price I was quoted at my local Woodcraft store, except that they have several still in the boxes on hand.

That's interesting because the Woodcraft website doesn't show the sale. My local one doesn't stock the PM3520B. Maybe your Woodcraft order some due to the sale price.

JimB

Which model Grizzly did you have? I was looking at them because theres no way i can swing that right now, maybe Nova ?

My Grizzly is the G0462. I still have it but I don't know how much use it will get now that I have the PM. I haven't decided if I will will sell it or not. For now it will primarily serve as a buffer.

The Grizzly served me well for many years. The problem is I am now turning a lot of larger, out of balance bowls. The Grizzly had plenty of power and 16" swing but it's lowest speed was to fast and it didn't have the weight and stability I needed.

Top Bottom