My Lathe Bench

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

challagan

Well, since PSI is shut down for a couple days for inventories my lathe won't be shipped until the 5th so I decided to build a mobile cabinet bench for it. Here are a couple photos. Room for some turning parts, tools etc. Still need to put drawer fronts on it but ran out of material. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Corey

2005123018531_Lathecab1.jpg

20051230185333_Lathecab2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryannmphs

Corey,
Just a couple of comments. The stand looks good and sturdy, it will work great for the lathe. My only suggestion (and this was suggested to me by a friend) would be to replace the drawer bottems with perforated hard board (peg board) to allow wood chips and dust to "fall through". Even though I keep the drawers on my tool chest closed, they still seem to accumulate wood chips.

Can't wait to see the lathe sittin' on it's new home!
Ryan

challagan

Thanks Ryan! That is an excellent idea. Problem is I build the drawers pretty quickly and stapled them to the bottom instead of putting them in dado's like you should. I used some cheap drawer slides that I had on hand, I have a feeling that the drawers loaded with goodies will be to heavy. I will probably end up buying heaveir duty slides and redo the drawers the right way and as you say with the peg board bottoms.

Corey

TomServo

nice! You don't have to dado the drawer bottoms in; you could use some strips of hardwood under the edges and screw those strips on for a similar effect..

tipusnr

Looks like the beginnings of a great stand. I'm always saying I'm going to build one someday and get rid of the dresser I've got it on now. Perhaps when one of the drawers break I'll actually do it!!

Way to stay busy!!!

gypsyman

I just aquired an old Atlas 6" lathe. I am beginning the job of restoration. I just love old tools. I am looking for a replacement belt and heard that there is a product on the market that will be a good replacement for the traditional vee belt. The product is a link belt. Grizzly Tools has them listed in their on-line catalog but they are 1/2" wide and I need 3/8" wide. Does anyone know if they make one that is 3/8" wide? Thanks for any help here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom