My custom bowl lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
WHAT A BEAST! I like the color!

Those shavings are pretty wicked too. I wish i could shoot shavings to the ceiling!

khogan16

nice job love the color. You should post another showing you making a bowl. I think if I was using it parts would be flying off the bowl.

gothycdesigns

I love the color. Great job on the building. I was going to build one based on a Shopnotes Magazine article, but though with my luck, save and buy one....lol.

As a sidenote, is that a homemade air filtration above his head? I need to make one and
am looking for some good plans. I have either a standard box fan or a small squirrel cage fan to use. can you tell me where you got your plans from or if you made your own plans? Thanks

Kalai

Hi Super Dave, I bet the lathe looks good but I can't see it because I only have dial up and it takes forever to load vids on youtube so I don't do that, a picture would be great.
I built one of my big lathes, it can turn 4 feet 8 inches in diameter, I use a old jeep transmision to change speeds. What is the capacity of your lathe? Aloha.

Chris

SuperDave

nice job love the color. You should post another showing you making a bowl. I think if I was using it parts would be flying off the bowl.

I have some huge blanks that I want to toss on the lathe. My wife keeps pushing me make a large salad bowl... maybe when the weather warms up a bit.

I have turned a dozen or so bowls but then put her into "storage" to make room for a large CNC Router.

SD

SuperDave

I love the color. Great job on the building. I was going to build one based on a Shopnotes Magazine article, but though with my luck, save and buy one....lol.

As a sidenote, is that a homemade air filtration above his head? I need to make one and
am looking for some good plans. I have either a standard box fan or a small squirrel cage fan to use. can you tell me where you got your plans from or if you made your own plans? Thanks

Good eyes! Yes, I made a shop filtration unit. I used a two speed squirrel cage and three filters. Wired a switch to the outside of the box. Can be done in a slow weekend.

SD

SuperDave

Hi Super Dave, I bet the lathe looks good but I can't see it because I only have dial up and it takes forever to load vids on youtube so I don't do that, a picture would be great.
I built one of my big lathes, it can turn 4 feet 8 inches in diameter, I use a old jeep transmision to change speeds. What is the capacity of your lathe? Aloha.

Chris

Chris,

The lathe will turn 8' in diameter before the blank starts to scrape the floor. I haven't put anything that big on it yet, but will one day. Last Summer, I finished the custom tail stock so I could support large stock. Turned out pretty sweet!

SD

SuperDave

Incredible machine. Looks like you did a fine job. I love the quick stop feature. The tool rest is a honkin' big and stout affair. Enjoy.

Yeah, I had to dial in the stop time, as it can really make things interesting with larger blanks. When I get around to testing the actual capacity of the lathe, I will have to dial it back even more.

The articulated tool rest was designed for the pressures of turning large scale work. You should see the turning tool handles I made from Aluminum tubing and filled with shot!

I am making some smaller rests for "Normal" size material and handles.

greggas

5 HP, 8' diameter capacity and you are in the state with the most beautiful wood, I am very jealous.....If I had that machine I would never leave the barn.

have fun

greg

gothycdesigns

Good eyes! Yes, I made a shop filtration unit. I used a two speed squirrel cage and three filters. Wired a switch to the outside of the box. Can be done in a slow weekend.

SD

Cools. I think I have found a decent plan to make one. One more question. Did you use any caulking to seal the inside? Or do you think it would really be needed too as long as the box is tight?

ThX

SuperDave

Cools. I think I have found a decent plan to make one. One more question. Did you use any caulking to seal the inside? Or do you think it would really be needed too as long as the box is tight?

ThX

I can't remember if I used caulk or not... but, it can't hurt. In my design, given that a 1200 cfm blower is pulling enough air to clear the entire shop in about three minutes, and the fact that the input end is open with three filters, I doubt that much, if any, air is sucked in through the joints.

SD

Top Bottom